Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Dipstick Question ?

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2010, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Dipstick Question ?

My '"75" Camper Special's dipstick broke off right above where the full line reads leaving me no indication of where to top off ? (broken piece must be in trans pan)

Question is, how do I tell which dipstick I should replace it with as I was advised there are multiple length dipsticks and tubes ?

The transmission is a 400th...

Last edited by BALDMIKE; August 25th, 2010 at 9:58 PM.
Old August 25th, 2010, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

Cool

Anyone ?
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well 1st off I would not turn on the car 'til I got that end piece out if I were you.

2nd, it might be a better idea to post this in the el camino forum.
But here is my take on it...
1-do you have access to see all the different dipsticks, or are you trying to order them online?
if you have access to them all, take the dipstick with you and size it up against
the other dipsticks.
If it broke off just above the max line, you may have to "eyeball" which dipstick would be
a closest match. But if they are all very close in size, that idea may not work.
But actually... regaurdless, you still need to get that dipstick end out so you can use that
to help size the dipstick up if you have access to them all.

2-if you dont have access to see them all, take a vey close look probably toward the top
of the dipstick by the handle, there may be a couple numbers there, those numbers
would probably be the model number and you will know exactly what to ask for.
I would say looking for some kinda part number is your best bet.

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; August 26th, 2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Cool

Originally Posted by Mille Racer 69
well 1st off I would not turn on the car 'til I got that end piece out if I were you.

2nd, it might be a better idea to post this in the el camino forum.
But here is my take on it...
1-do you have access to see all the different dipsticks, or are you trying to order them online?
if you have access to them all, take the dipstick with you and size it up against
the other dipsticks.
If it broke off just above the max line, you may have to "eyeball" which dipstick would be
a closest match. But if they are all very close in size, that idea may not work.
But actually... regaurdless, you still need to get that dipstick end out so you can use that
to help size the dipstick up if you have access to them all.

2-if you dont have access to see them all, take a vey close look probably toward the top
of the dipstick by the handle, there may be a couple numbers there, those numbers
would probably be the model number and you will know exactly what to ask for.
I would say looking for some kinda part number is your best bet.
This is "My '"75" Camper Special's" dipstick broke off not my El Camino.

Good idea on looking for #'s at the top of the stick I will do that when I go back out to the Truck.

I have been driving the Truck with the end in the pan now for about 1500 miles, doesn't look like there is any metal shavings in the fluid but I think I'll have the tranny serviced to get that broken piece out of there.

I will post back once I check for the numbers, thanks again...
Old August 28th, 2010, 10:32 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes get the broken peice out of there, you should be able to go to a parts store and find the dipstick you need. just take your old dip stick with you when getting new to make sure your bends match up, and then look at where the dipstick goes into the trans, is the fill mark the same as your broken one? getting the broken peice out of the trans is a must for that step, or you could just pull the trans pan and weld the broken peice back on