Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

downshifting

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2013, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default downshifting

Hey Guys,
I have a 08 chevy silverado, 5.3 vortec engine.

for some reason it seems to sounds like it is downshifting if i am driving
60mphs or a bit slower. does anyone else seem to have this going on or
is it my mind playing tricks. I mean it drives ok and no warning messages on the dash. any ideas or thought would be appreciated very much.

thank

Silver
Old January 19th, 2013, 8:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Torque converter locking/unlocking maybe? Are the rpm's goin up slightly?
Old January 19th, 2013, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Country_09 thanks for the response.
It doesnt seem to be a rpm increase but it might.
I have less than 55000 miles on it, maybe I should take it to dealership???
but what would i tell them ????????

Silver
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its still under warranty, might as well take it. They'd have to fix it. But get prepared to have the run around done on you. When drivin it, watch for when it does it and look at the rpm gauge, if it bounces a couple hundred rpm's then goes back down, sounds like the converter locking and unlocking. If not then maybe a sensor or somethin if messed up. I've seen a mass air flow sensor cause weird tranny issues
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Country_09, I am going to take it to the dealer Monday while I am off.
I know it will be a battle but I am going to go for it.
Thanks for your thoughts. I'll post again and let you know what they told me and the hassle they gave me....lol

Silver
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:08 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> SilveradoGuy,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your truck. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Louis,

Thanks for the response.

Louis have you heard of this trouble from chevy owners before or is this a characteristic of the 08 and later Silverados?

I will post after my dealership visit and let you all know what they came up with.

Silver
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SilveradoGuy
Hey Louis,

Thanks for the response.

Louis have you heard of this trouble from chevy owners before or is this a characteristic of the 08 and later Silverados?

I will post after my dealership visit and let you all know what they came up with.

Silver
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> SilveradoGuy,

I am not currently showing any known downshifting issues on 2008 Silverado vehicles.

I look forward to hearing the results of your dealership visit.

I you have additional questions, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 23rd, 2013, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

I just got a call from the Chevrolet dealership here in Wetumpka, Al.
The service writer said the truck drove and shifted verywell, noticed nothing
unusual in the transmission shifting and there were no codes in the system.
He did mention that the drive shaft needed lubricating. ($47.00)

Thanks for all the replies.

Silver