Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

the dream needs a bit of reality

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2010, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the dream needs a bit of reality

Hey guys im new here cause im lookin for help with my "dream".... i got and 04 gmc sierra (check the pics) idk how you guys feel about gmc since this is a chevy forum but since they are nearly the exact same i dont think thats an issue... too the point... he's got a 4.3 now and i want to upgrade to a v-8... my dream is the LS-7.... reallity is the motor alone is nearly 15 grand.... any one got some good ideas to get close to that kind of power? i have been lookin at some motors from GMperformence parts but not too sure yet... i'll also have to upgarde my tranny too (manual) but not sure wat a good choice is.... if yall have some time spit some combos at me.... one that my friend gave me was a junk yard idea of pullin a 6.2L out of a wrecked 3/4 ton and nabbing the comp as well...

i need all the ideas i can get boys none are too wild or mild.... just remember its supposed to be a street stomper/dailey driver not a dragster so no one needs to recomend the 572
Old March 7th, 2010, 8:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the cts v motor and tranny? i think its an ls3 motor? not sure. but it screams and is pretty fast. if you get a bigger motor and tranny you might have to change your gears in the back.
Old March 7th, 2010, 8:52 PM
CF Veteran

you could go for a 8.1/Allison combo. Have one of the last Chevy BB.

Or a 572...
Old March 7th, 2010, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
you could go for a 8.1/Allison combo. Have one of the last Chevy BB.

Or a 572...
8.1? plz enlighten me for i am ignorant
Old March 7th, 2010, 9:02 PM
CF Veteran

It was offered in a teh 1-tons more than anything, but you can find them in Avalanches and a a few 2500 trucks. Its a big engine, with a lot of power, the last of the Chevy Big Blocks. Prolly easier and cheaper to get a 6.0 and beef it up now that I think about it.
Old March 7th, 2010, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

It was offered in a teh 1-tons more than anything, but you can find them in Avalanches and a a few 2500 trucks. Its a big engine, with a lot of power, the last of the Chevy Big Blocks. Prolly easier and cheaper to get a 6.0 and beef it up now that I think about it.
power is good.... but i would like a best of both worlds approach... is it possible to upgrade and keep my millage in the high teens? thats why tthe LS-7 is the most desired one... it delivered like 28 mpgs in the vet (obviously more aerodynamic) but it gave me some hope
Old March 7th, 2010, 9:21 PM
CF Veteran

I've seen a WS6 that gets 28 on the highway, with 550hp at the wheels. but around town it gets 8 or so.

If i were to do a build. At this moment, I think I'd build up a 6.0, not because i have one, because it's been a around for awhile, and aftermarket heads and cams and such are plentiful.
Old March 7th, 2010, 9:30 PM
Super Moderator

if you gonan do all of that.. get a duramax and a few thousand for mods and it'll be sweeeeeettttttt jsut looka t these vids.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw4X8...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qIBH...eature=related
Old March 7th, 2010, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

I've seen a WS6 that gets 28 on the highway, with 550hp at the wheels. but around town it gets 8 or so.

If i were to do a build. At this moment, I think I'd build up a 6.0, not because i have one, because it's been a around for awhile, and aftermarket heads and cams and such are plentiful.
sounds like wat my bud was sayin... only he said the 6.2 would be near perfect for me... a 6.0 would be somethin i could junkyard pull too... any other ideas for a tranny? the tremec 6 speed sounds like a beast that could take the punishment...
Old March 7th, 2010, 9:33 PM
CF Veteran

I'd want a stick personally, i ahve the 6l90e, and I love it, I'd rather have the allison though.

Quick Reply: the dream needs a bit of reality