Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Electrical System Has Ghostly Dimming Issues

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2014, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical System Has Ghostly Dimming Issues

First off, I wanted to say I was recommended from a friend that this site has the best and most informative members as compared to many other full-size Chevy forums. I'm glad to be there. Thank you.

Second off, I have a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado Z71. It has recently started randomly dimming and flickering the headlights, instrument panels lights, interior dome lights and taillights. The voltage gauge typically reads at 14+v, but will occasionally down below the middle mark and into the 13v range. It seems to do these voltage switching at random time and intervals. I can be traveling down the roadway at around 60mph and the headlights and instrument panel lights are clearly dimming on and off. I do not have a stereo system installed, so no power from that could be disturbing my electrical phenomenon.

I would like to know which components to start with as I test through them. Is it a cable issue? Is there something wrong with a voltage regulator? Is the generator defective? (I had it tested at Advance Auto Parts and was informed that it was good, however the odd electrical phenomenon was not happening at the time of the test.

I'm sure I am leaving out some important information regarding my issue, so please ask me any questions you may have and I can quickly and easily answer them for you. I appreciate the help in advance y'all.

Thank you.