Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

engine detonating (pinging noises) - help!

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2006, 11:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine detonating (pinging noises) - help!

i have a chevy silverado 2001 4.8 engine - and i'ts had a detonating problem when i use regular or medium grade fuel. this only leaves me with the option of using premium fuel which is ridiculous. chevrolet said that the truck checked out fine but i'm not satisfied with that. anyone else out there having the same problem??? any suggestions on what to do or how this can be fixed???
Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: engine detonating (pinging noises) - help!

have you checked the plugs? are they the right ones and are they gaped correctly?
Old July 3rd, 2006, 7:01 PM
CF Senior Member

My mom had a 91 Corsica, It was running really rough, I put a knock sensor on it and it was fine. I can say for sure if it was pining or not, as it has been a couple of years and I am still learning myself. But if it is detonating early that sounds like a good culprit. I would ask what year, I know in 97 454's went to a higher comp,(mid grad) but I don't think your engine or year is.(could be wrong) I would think mid grade would do it for an everyday factory pick up.
How many miles? Have you checked your timing? I know it is comp controlled but that will still only go so far, it may be in tolerance to run but way out to where the comp cannot get it to fire at quite the right time/
Just a thought.
Old July 7th, 2006, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 99 Silverado with a 4.8L and I run a mid grade fuel with a 89 octane (E10) reading and have never had a problem with pinging. You might try using premium fuel and see if it fixes the problem and if it doesn't then you know that it must be something other than the fuel.