Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Engine starts and idles well but dies if you touch the throttle

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2021, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine starts and idles well but dies if you touch the throttle

I'm fixing up a 1994 GMC C1500 (2wd) with the 5.7 V8. I got it up and running today, but if I try to rev the engine AT ALL after it has been idling it immediately sputters out and dies. It is full injected, but to get the engine started I have to floor the gas pedal and crank the engine for about 15 seconds before it comes to life, which also worries me. Once it has started, it idles fairly well and will keep running on its own until I touch the gas. It has been sitting for about 4 years, so the gas is bad, but could bad gas make it die like that? Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on? Thank you for the help!!!
Old March 12th, 2021, 7:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

Lots of possibilities, but bad gas is probably just a factor, not the sole reason.

Given the length of time it was in storage, I’d start by pulling the glove box out and checking for a mouse nest on top of the heater box - they love nesting there and it’s right next to the ECM, with all kinds of ignition and control wires to bite into.

Edit: I forgot to mention the next step is changing the fuel filter - most likely plugged up, and you can pump the bad gas out of the tank while in he filters off.
Old March 21st, 2022, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem with my 95 chevy ran fine then died in the middle of the road. Have you found the problem? I've changed fuel pressure regulator, map sensor, tps, and the acv however I'm still having the same issue.
Old March 21st, 2022, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Coolant Temp Sensor!

Originally Posted by Dmchevy
I am having the same problem with my 95 chevy ran fine then died in the middle of the road. Have you found the problem? I've changed fuel pressure regulator, map sensor, tps, and the acv however I'm still having the same issue.

it ended up being the Coolant Temp Sensor. They’re about $25 and take 5 seconds to swap out, I’d recommend giving it a shot. Best of luck to you!