Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Exaust chenge.

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2008, 7:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exaust chenge.

Is it a bad idea to Replace the stock muffler on a 2003 silverado, i want to replace it with a Magnaflow, by doing thisis there going to be power loss, computer oremmissions problems.

I was originaly goin to put a flowmaster on it, but their to loud for a every day truck.

anyopinion with whichmagnaflow to use, i just want single in/out.

Thanks
Old February 9th, 2008, 9:17 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Exaust chenge.

Their wouldnt be any power loss. You would get reduced back pressure and if anything see power gains. No computer problems, theres nothing electronic near the muffler. The only problem you would have is if you put headers on it without the proper 02 sensor holes and left them off, then i could see computer problems or emission troubles. Also, if you remove your catalytic converters you will not pass emissions. But if your just doing a cat back, or a muffler swap out, your not going to have any problems at all, ive dont it to all my vehicles. As far as loudness, Magnaflow makes mufflers just as loud as flowmasters. It depends which one you get. Youve got to compare apples to apples. Single chamber flowmaster to a 12" long straight through magnaflow race series is going to be loud! If you want quite performance, go with a 50 series flowmaster or a magnaflow xl performance. A catback magnaflow will cost you around $700. Catbacks are always better though because most are stainless and will last forever, and they use mandrel bends, and they offer smoother surfaces on the inside for less restrictions. Worth it in my opinion, if you plan on keeping your truck for several years.
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM
CF Junior Member

with a 50 series flowmaster or a magnaflow xl performance. is there still a noticable change in the tone?, i just dont want something as loud as a super 40, something a little milder with still that aggressive tone and wont drive a child crazy in the back seat.
Old February 9th, 2008, 2:49 PM
Super Moderator

50 series isn't bad, I have one on an old ford. I recently put a flowmasterForce IIcat back system (which comes with a big block 70 series)on my '95 1500 and it is great, really quiet at idle, a nice deep tone duringacceleration,and not very loud in the cab. It all dependson your preferences.
Old February 9th, 2008, 6:58 PM
CF Senior Member

I was told by flowmaster that if you want minimal interior sound, your gonna have to sacrifice exterior sound as well. They run hand in hand. Loudest muffler they make is Super 44, midrange 50 delta, quietest 50 big block.
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 01 Silverado that I had a 50 Delta on and could barely hear it even with the windows down. I actually just switched it out to a 40 so I could hear it more. I was worried it may be to loud and it is not at all. So if you are worried about interior resonance take my word for it the 50 will not bother you at all. Also I noticed a slight power gain on the low end so you will not loose any power.
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM
CF Senior Member

go to http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.htmlto see a chart at the top of the page.