Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2013, 4:35 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyinKY
That is good info. Thanks. I'm still wondering why the dealer didn't mention there was a fix to the oil consumption problem.
They may not have mentioned it because there are many other possible causes that have to be checked for... it could be PCV related, it could be the shield, I have even heard of piston ring issues...
Old January 13th, 2013, 4:38 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by arz71
Question: if it is possible to disable the AFM, can anyone post who has the 5.3 and performed this function?

Second question: did disabling the AFM help any in oil consumption?

If anyone has any information that would be great, I have a 2009 with 26,000 miles on it and I do not like the AFM. I am looking for a place (live in North West Arkansas) to disable it.
Per post #43 a performance shop that does tunes may be able too, however I don't think its something you can simply disable while sitting in your driveway...
It is a software switch that has to be performed...
Old January 13th, 2013, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer is fixing to do a valves and pistons change out on my 2010 silverado because of excessive oil consumption !!!!! yikes
Old January 14th, 2013, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by grandpa3437
My dealer is fixing to do a valves and pistons change out on my 2010 silverado because of excessive oil consumption !!!!! yikes
The labor alone would make it cheaper for them to just get a new engine and put in it. (with labor being $100+ per hour)
Old January 14th, 2013, 3:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpa3437
pistons and oil control rings are the final step in the multi-layered tsb....performed only If all the previous step didn't fix it.
Old January 15th, 2013, 5:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by arz71
The labor alone would make it cheaper for them to just get a new engine and put in it. (with labor being $100+ per hour)
gm doesn't pay f-all to the dealer to fix this. The warranty labour times are 50% of the same job vs customer pay.

The time to replace the valve cover, drop the front diff and oil pan to install the oil shield, remove all coils and plugs and decarbonize the cylinders is 4.1 hours.

Last edited by tech2; January 15th, 2013 at 5:14 PM.
Old January 29th, 2013, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

my silverado goes in at my dealer Monday 2-4 13 for excessive oil consomption repairs (valve cover,oil shield, and carbon removal. Hope this solves my problem, dont't like th idea of pouring oil in it between changes.
Old January 30th, 2013, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Question

Originally Posted by gdw's chevy
my silverado goes in at my dealer Monday 2-4 13 for excessive oil consomption repairs (valve cover,oil shield, and carbon removal. Hope this solves my problem, dont't like th idea of pouring oil in it between changes.
Is this an aluminum block?
Old March 4th, 2013, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same oil consumption problem. I have a 2010 5.2L crew cab 4X4. Last week I took the truck into the dealer for a routine oil change and was told I was almost 1.5 quarts low. I have close to 30K on the truck and the last oil change was at 25K. Service advisor told me this has been a problem with the '07-'09 models and now is showing up in the '10. He said most of the trucks are experiencing this excessive oil consumption around 60K. Mine is the first one less than that. He has asked me to keep an eye on the level and after 1,000 miles it is still using oil, he will need me to bring in the truck again. For what, I do not know.

On a different issue, but it might be related, I received a letter from GM regarding a "potential issue" with 2010 Silverados and the throttle position sensor causing a reduction in engine power. They did not want me to bring the truck in until the "issue" occurred. Well, you guessed it as I was taking my son to the airport doing 75MPH in rush hour traffic, the "potential issue" occurred. Damn near got in an accident trying to pull over to the side of the road! Long story short, towed the vehicle into the dealer to get it repaired. I have now noticed my MPG has increased as a result of the fix. I hope GM gets their act together on both these issues.
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Have your dealer check GM Bulletins, I have had my truck in for the same thing and they have just completed a number of repairs to the vehicle including valve cover and gaskets, oil pan, o - rings and a complete engine flush. They say it has to do wtih the oil blasting back up into the cylinders and then the oil being pushed through. Check your tailpipe as it will most likely have a black ring around it.

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado