Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Exhaust system - cat back, true duals, headers, etc. - Explanations?

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2011, 9:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust system - cat back, true duals, headers, etc. - Explanations?

Alright, so being that I'm looking to go pick up a Silverado for sure Saturday or sooner, I've been researching a bit about the exhaust kits available for it. What exactly are my options? I've seen numerous companies, mainly been looking at the more known and trusted like Flowmaster or Magnaflow. I've even seen a lot of Borla exhaust systems on some Chevys (on YT) that sound very good.

I want the truck to sound good, but do not want something loud and obnoxious like straight pipes backfiring down the road...probably something a bit louder than a Flowmaster 40 series...I don't want it to be super loud (like over my music) in the cab, but I do like being able to hear the exhaust.

Now, will a 1996 with the 350 have dual cats, or one? Essentially, if I wanted true duals, would I have to bypass something, or is it more feasible for me to just do a Y pipe? Headers, do they help anything out at all? Enough to get them installed?

Thanks, looking forward to all input.
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if it is a dual it should have 2 cats (someone correct me if I am wrong.

I would get flowmaster 30 series in a true dual.
the 30 series is loud but not obnoxious and still has a defines tone to it.
aa dual exhaust will net you more mid-range power while a single will give you more
power around redline. I would get duals IIWY.

Borla's are too expensive for me. they sound just like flowmaster 40's to me at twice the price.

the thing with headers is that they allow the exhaust to flow out more smoothly.
the stock exhaust manifold is ridgid/rough inside adding resistance.
the less the engine has to work at exerting the exhaust the more power
you will be able to take advantage of.
flowmasters have chevron shapes in them and when the exhaust flows past
them it actually creates a vacuum affect pulling the exhaust out of the engine.

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; April 4th, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Good diagram, i agree with a flowmaster. the flowmaster 50 series has a deep rumble at idle and decent sound with more rpm.
The 40 series as you say is a little quiet all around but has a nice tone, but it also has a terrible drone.
Dont know much about the 30 series, because i havent owned one, but i imagine its a compromise of the 50 series and 40 series.
I personally suggest the super 44 series because it has a nice rumble and tone at idle and the sound is unmatched in upper rpm. Go with true dual if you can or run your pipes so that you can fit a dual in/dual out muffler. also for more sound you can run larger diameter pipe out of the muffler.
However everyone has a different taste, but from what you were saying i would suggest the super 44 flowmaster
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mille Racer 69
if it is a dual it should have 2 cats (someone correct me if I am wrong.

I would get flowmaster 30 series in a true dual.
the 30 series is loud but not obnoxious and still has a defines tone to it.
aa dual exhaust will net you more mid-range power while a single will give you more
power around redline. I would get duals IIWY.

Borla's are too expensive for me. they sound just like flowmaster 40's to me at twice the price.

the thing with headers is that they allow the exhaust to flow out more smoothly.
the stock exhaust manifold is ridgid/rough inside adding resistance.
the less the engine has to work at exerting the exhaust the more power
you will be able to take advantage of.
flowmasters have chevron shapes in them and when the exhaust flows past
them it actually creates a vacuum affect pulling the exhaust out of the engine.

*snip*
Well I was wondering if the truck is dual from factory, as I'm not sure what exhaust it has on it if any besides stock. I think I'd rather have the power around low-mid range as you were saying, not necessarily at redline. Driving around, I won't be shifting that high. If I was racing, different story.

Originally Posted by Hunt4X4
Good diagram, i agree with a flowmaster. the flowmaster 50 series has a deep rumble at idle and decent sound with more rpm.
The 40 series as you say is a little quiet all around but has a nice tone, but it also has a terrible drone.
Dont know much about the 30 series, because i havent owned one, but i imagine its a compromise of the 50 series and 40 series.
I personally suggest the super 44 series because it has a nice rumble and tone at idle and the sound is unmatched in upper rpm. Go with true dual if you can or run your pipes so that you can fit a dual in/dual out muffler. also for more sound you can run larger diameter pipe out of the muffler.
However everyone has a different taste, but from what you were saying i would suggest the super 44 flowmaster
So, basically, 50s are more refined overall, 40s a bit more deep, still refined, and 30s still refined enough but sound loud? Are there any decent clips comparing the three or similar on the internet with the 5.7? Hell, even another engine I wouldn't mind...just want to hear the main difference between them.

On that note, should I go with headers, or stick with the stock? If I do, long tube or shorties? I don't want to go dirt cheap on this, as I want quality, but I also don't want to pay loads for it. I'll be getting it installed by a shop locally, but probably buy all the parts offline if possible. How much would a complete kit run me, where would I be looking at getting everything from, and would I be able to buy everything separate or can I get it together?

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it. I know a bit about vehicles...enough to do maintenance and troubleshoot basic problems, but things like exhaust I am just now starting to learn about.
Old April 5th, 2011, 6:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Flowmaster '50 Series' mufflers on my 2004 5.3L Silverado and LOVE the way they sound. They are not as loud as the '40 Series' -- but also lack the annoying drone that gets old on long road trips.

I also don't want to wake up my neighbors when I leave for work at 3am. Doh!
Old April 5th, 2011, 7:28 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm looking at the Flowmaster videos on YT...the 10 series sounds a bit too brash for everyday driving, the 50 series too quiet. I'm liking either the 40 series or the 30 series, but haven't seen a definite difference between the two.
Old April 5th, 2011, 7:30 PM
CF Junior Member

il post some sound clips of a 40 50 and super 44 on here from my vehicles and my buddy's and tell me what you think. the lower number you get, generally, the louder series it is. i would go with the super 44 because you can even tell in the name what it is. since its a 44 it sounds as loud as between a 40 and 50 series at idle and because its a super it has the higher rpm sound of like a 30 series or 10. so this is the one you want if you are only gonna be hittin it hard every once in a while and want it to sound like a beast when you do.
o ya sorry forgot, but dont mess with headers unless you really wanna spend some cash. they sound nice but there is a ton of trouble installin them and it aint cheap

Last edited by Hunt4X4; April 5th, 2011 at 7:32 PM. Reason: forgot
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:29 AM
CF Junior Member

That would be good. I'm assuming a Super 40 would be louder than a Super 44, correct?
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:58 PM
CF Junior Member

the series goes from loudest to quietest like this: super 10, super 44, 40 series, super 40, delta 40, 80 series, 50 HD, delta 50, 60 series, super 50, 70 series, 50 series. so by looking at the numbers you would think so but its actually a little bit quieter. but since the super 40 is a super 40 you will get that better tone and volume in higher rpm. Super 10 is what i may get next b/c my welds broke on my super 44, and 10s are supposed to be super loud but definitely bearable at normal driving conditions. the good thing about flowmaster is that they sound like a nicely tuned muscle truck, instead of the classic teenage, blow your face off the whole time rocket boosters. of course im saying this at 18. but as to answer your question the difference between a super 40 and super 44 shouldn't be very noticeable except for the drone that typically comes with the 40 series
Old April 7th, 2011, 6:30 AM
CF Junior Member

So the 30 that Mille Racer 69 suggested, does that rank in between the 10 and 44? After seeing some more videos I'm leaning towards the 44, and I think I might like the 10, but not sure if others would appreciate it around here, like the mother, lol.

Quick Reply: Exhaust system - cat back, true duals, headers, etc. - Explanations?