Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Exhaust system - cat back, true duals, headers, etc. - Explanations?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2011, 7:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 30 series isn't very reputable, but it does give an alright sound. the only thing is that it doesnt have a very high performance sound, and is very cackly. i hear ya about the 10s they are the loudest that flowmaster makes and sound pretty good, but i havent actually heard one in person. i tried to get some sound clips but my mic is broken.
and forgot to mention but the 350 96 should have dual cats so get it in true dual or a 2 in 2 out
Old April 7th, 2011, 9:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Sweet.
So do i buy a dual in dual out, or 2 mufflers? Will one sound a lot different than the other?

I noticed they had the different sizes too. Which one will be better? 3.0, 2.25, 2.5, etc? If I just take the mufflers into the shop, they can worry about the pipes, right?

Thanks for all your help man.

Are you fking kidding me, this guy I'm talking to is flaking out AFTER I've already gotten the cashier's check and we agreed on it a week earlier and spoke on the phone twice. I swear to fck I hate people.
Regardless, I'm not letting this thread go to waste. Might take me another month if this falls through, but I'll get a Silveardo.

Last edited by Guitar; April 7th, 2011 at 9:57 PM.
Old April 8th, 2011, 2:03 PM
CF Junior Member

OK...I put headers with with 2.5" pipe with a cross pipe into two 40 series mufflers dumped either behind the cab (lots of sound and resonance) or at the rear end great sound but has a serious low end sound at around 1500-1800 RPM's. I put this set up on every Old school Chevy I have and will ever own. The last one was an 85 Chevy Short wide with a crate 350.

There is a definite difference between single muffler with dual in/out and dual mufflers. I prefer the dual mufflers but this 3/4 01 2500HD I put a single muffler with dual in/out sounds good but it does not have a ton of sound inside the truck.
Old April 8th, 2011, 9:21 PM
CF Junior Member

O man i feel for ya. i would say definitely go with true dual if you can because two mufflers can do more for u with sound. the volume of each will be smaller so you have two mufflers that are smaller and resonate more so you get a nice tone. and since the mufflers are smaller you dont have sound getting lost in there. definitely true dual if you can. and then i would try to get 3 in pipes coming out, just make sure you tell the shop that you want 3 in. you gain a lot more rumble with the 3 in. pipes. I hope your deal works out with the silverado they sound good.
Old April 16th, 2011, 8:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, I didn't end up getting a truck...instead a Camaro SS.

Has a Borla exhaust system on it. Sounds really good, but like said earlier in the thread, I don't think I would have PERSONALLY paid the premium to get it.