Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2009, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

We have a 2007 Chevy Silverado with about 30,000 miles. It is covered under the GM 5 year / 100,000 powertrain, but I am thinking of getting one of the extended warranties.

The one that my local GM / Chevy dealer sells is by " The Mechanic " and issued by Automotive Services of Florida.

Anyone have any insight or experince with this? To give you an idea we are talking about $ 1,800 for another 48 month , 75,000 mileage of coverage.

Thanks
Old August 18th, 2009, 5:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DNIC75
We have a 2007 Chevy Silverado with about 30,000 miles. It is covered under the GM 5 year / 100,000 powertrain, but I am thinking of getting one of the extended warranties.

The one that my local GM / Chevy dealer sells is by " The Mechanic " and issued by Automotive Services of Florida.

Anyone have any insight or experince with this? To give you an idea we are talking about $ 1,800 for another 48 month , 75,000 mileage of coverage.

Thanks
to me thats a great feeling to have coverage, even if you dont use it....OR WILL YOU... have you had or heard of any problems with your year truck?if your not lowering it raising it or modifying anything then you should be safe....ive had my 07 duramax that has many bells and whistles which so far...................knock on wood has had zero problems...and i opted for the extended warranty...when i brought my truck to have service done (was in a rush)the would not touch my truck.....but for 1800 that is a whole lotta protection and good sleepinf @ night....
Old August 18th, 2009, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to read the contract/ fine print a lot of the aftermarket warranty companies are very selective on what the will pay for. Also some treat each repair as a different problem with a separate deductible. Check out the www.carchex.com
Old September 9th, 2009, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Alternatively, anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with Chevy/ GM Warranty ?? (GM Protection Plan)
It is only about $100 more than the party one that the local dealer pushes.

Thanks
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

First, I feel better, given the monstrous up-front cost of these extended warranties, if I keep the money in my pocket. Then it's there to put towards whatever repair, whenever.

Second, there have been a lot of "Extended warranty" scams lately. How are you sure this isn't one of them.

It's been my experience that a warranty consists of a few pages of closely typed text. The first paragraph tells you that you're going to be taken care of, and your vehicle is fully covered. The rest of the warranty explains how poorly you're actually covered,and how little you can do about it.

Besides which, most warranties are stiffer and scratchier than leading toilet paper brands...