Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

A few issues...

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2008, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few issues...

I have a few issues going on with my truck, after talking with several people, wasting a whole bunch of time and money I figure I should ask for some help from people that know whats going on... [ul][*]Just a quick history on the vehicle: I bought it about 6 years ago from my grandfather's estate when he past away. I learned how to drive on the thing so there is some setimental value in it... When he was alive he had a 26ft Camper Trailer and when you were towing it, you'd forget it was there. Now if I so much as tow an empy car trailer I have a problem accelerating onto the freeway, once at speed it seems to take an awful lot of gas to maintain speed and forget about trying to pass someone...[*]I know part of these issues are from neglect (I don't drive the vehicle very often due the horrible gas milage ~ 6 mpg +- 1). I did drive it to Colorado approx 3000 miles round trip and had the tranny loose the "sun sprocket" or something along those lines leaving me only drive 2 & 3 as well as park... Well manually shifting while very tired will let you slip and put the shift lever in park while getting on the freeway... This will make park no longer work for any of you guys out there who want to try it... So I replaced the transmission about 10,000 miles ago with a rebuild from the chevy dealership...[/ul]
The main problems are as follows... [ol][*]Almost no power, I feel like I'm driving that good old Ford Courier my dad had... When towing my boat (2260 lbs) I can barely get up hills without it dropping all the way down to drive 2. (Nothing like going 60 mph then having the truck drop to drive 2. Talk about some rpms...)[*]My entire dash assembly (lights and guages) all flicker up and down when the turn signals are on... The volt guage goes all the way down to 8 and up to almost 18... (put a voltmeter on the battery, cig lighter, and ign wire harness and the voltage doesn't change.) I'm assuming its a ground issue, but have no clue where the ground wire is / bolts to...[*]My suspension seems way to week, about 300 lbs and its squatting to the overloads with my mud flaps hitting the ground... Any suggestions or is suppose do that?[*]Seems to not want to start when cold, will take 2-3 tries... Think its fuel related because if I just turn the ignition on and off 4-5 times it starts on the first try.[*]I think the power brakes are going out, It just seems like it isn't helping as much as it should, and whenever I release the brake pedle (@ idle) the engine idles up...[/ol]
Things I have already done:
[ol][*]Replaced Cat (Vehicle had problems starting, thought this was related, wasn't but did help the power issue some...)[*]Replaced Muffler (old one rusted out...)[*]Replaced Transmission (rebuld)[*]Standard Tune-Up (plugs, wires, cap, rotar)[*]Replaced starter (engaged but wouldn't dissengage, drove about 2700 miles this way before it gave up...)[*]Replaced battering wiring (was old and starter wasn't starting too well, read above)[*]Replaced battery (1800 cca)[*]Replaced Alternator (bearing went out in old one...)[*]Replaced fuel pump (that gave me my fuel guage back too )[*]Replaced Master Cylinder (peddle dropped to floor and wouldn't return, seal inside MC had gone bad...)[*]Replaced Calipers (leaking)[*]Replaced Slave Cylinders (leaking) [/ol]
I just feel like I've replaced about everything I could think of and it still has some issues... Any help would be great!!!
I know its a lot to read, but figure I should put as much detail as I can out of the gate...

Dave
Old February 14th, 2008, 8:20 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: A few issues...

how many miles?
Old February 14th, 2008, 8:22 PM
Super Moderator

Whats its oil pressure?
Old February 14th, 2008, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

178,000mi
Bought it with 159,000mi

A note I forgot to mention, it sat for almost a year (probate and all) before I was able to take it home... The last I drove it, before I bought it, was at 151,000 with that same trailer and it had all the power I could need...

Oil pressure sits right at 30 on the guage... (Thats another thing thats been replaced as well, it started spitting oil at ~1 qt per 10 miles, needless to say I only made it about 16 miles to get home, then replaced it...)
Old February 14th, 2008, 8:52 PM
Super Moderator

Do you remember what the oil presure was when it was running well? The reason I ask is because lowoil presure can sometimes bean indication that it is time for a rebuild.
Old February 14th, 2008, 9:23 PM
CF Active Member

try doing a decarb on it and see if that helps any, they usually sell it at your local auto parts store. you warm the car up and poor it down the throttle body a little bit at a time and you will see all that crap come out the tail pipe, if you have never done it befor it should put on a hell of a smoke show,
Old February 14th, 2008, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: northey87

Do you remember what the oil presure was when it was running well? The reason I ask is because lowoil presure can sometimes bean indication that it is time for a rebuild.
The oil pressure has always been the same except for the day that the sensor went bad, the new sensor reads approx 1/2 a psi higher but other than that no they are the same...

ORIGINAL: 06chevy5.3

try doing a decarb on it and see if that helps any, they usually sell it at your local auto parts store. you warm the car up and poor it down the throttle body a little bit at a time and you will see all that crap come out the tail pipe, if you have never done it befor it should put on a hell of a smoke show,
Will that hurt the new cat I just put in? And what is the called? I've never heard of "Decarb"...
PS 06chevy5.3 I responded to your question in a PM but for everyone else it has the TBI system...
Old February 14th, 2008, 9:45 PM
CF Active Member

no it will not damage the new cat, its all the carbon buil up from all the years and miles from the nasty gas.. just let it idle and start pooring it in real slow.. when u have gone through the hole bottle get in and give it gas real slow and it will bogg down like it is going to die, and by that time it will start blowing out smoke and then it will finally pick up and definately blow smoke!!! as far as what its called they have many different kinds, just ask the guy at the store and tell him you need some stuff to clean the carbon buil up on the valves.
Old February 14th, 2008, 9:59 PM
Super Moderator

You may want to try BG 44X. Its a injector cleaner, the same stuff the dealer uses, but in a liquid form. It extreme stuff (you can't get it at any autoparts store), and it is cat safe.Here is where you can some.

http://shop.autobahnpower.com/produc...ctor%20cleaner
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:02 PM
CF Active Member

ya that worked real good, that cleaned the nastiest valve we had at the shop... and nothing else would clean it so i would definately go with that if i were you

Quick Reply: A few issues...