Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

A few issues...

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2008, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A few issues...

Ok so I just got back from the test drive after using 3x bottles of cleaner... SeaFoam, B-12 Chemtool, and Lucas... Not that much smoke ( I know what your talking about, I've done it before on other cars...) There was a small improvement, but could definately feel the empty trailer... Also, I replaced the air filter, I noticed that the one I had in there was a little smaller maybe 2.5" tall not 3.5" tall... Still can't seem to get the power from it...
I'm beginning to wonder about the torque converter... It seems that the motor is running great. It has an excellent idle, climbs up into the r's pretty quick (especially for a v8) and returns to idle pretty fast too... Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time and I doubt it'd be last...

I noticed though that it did seem to start much faster... I let it sit for about 15 minutes before I drove it. When I turned the key, it was almost instantanious to start (hasn't done that for a long time!)...
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:37 PM
CF Active Member

hows the fuel pressur?
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Not sure, I know its TBI and should be between 9-13 or something like that, but I have no way to test it... It doesn't act like its starving for fuel, I drove for about 4 months with the old fuel pump going out. Then one day it wouldn't start (took like 30 minutes and a couple jumps, barely made it home). Replaced the pump the next day... That was a couple years ago though...
Old February 15th, 2008, 8:09 AM
Super Moderator

Can you tell if the trans is slipping? It may be time for a trans rebuild.
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

The trans is a rebuild from GM and only has 10000 mi on it... I'm not as comfortable with this trans for some reason as I was with the original, but no, it doesn't seem to slip. Last night I was a able to light the tires up so to speak on my test run, now thats not saying much as my trailer was empty so it had very little toung weight, the ground was damp and I was turning, but that is the first time in a long time it has even been able to do that...

The only reason I mentioned the TC is that it is the only peace that I didn't buy factory or aftermarket new... My "buddy" gave it to me and well you know how that can go... A few people around the bar suggested it may be culprit for the power loss, but don't really wanna pull it out as I could just be wasting my time again...

I am goin to the parts store today to get a fuel pressure tester, will let you knowhow it comes out....
Old February 15th, 2008, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, update...
Drove the truck for about an hour today, after about 45-50 minutes of driving the "Service Engine" light came on... I pulled the codes and it pointed to the o2... Ran the voltage test on the o2 and it came back high i mean real high... almost .9v should be between .45-.65... I replaced the o2 and wow what a difference, still not great but damn close... I drove around the block and spun my tires at every corner... (Need new tires...) Anyway I'm thinking I've got most the power back... The rest I can attribute to the miles/age...

The remaining problems... [hr][ol][*]My entire dash assembly (lights and guages) all flicker up and down when the turn signals are on... The volt guage goes all the way down to 8 and up to almost 18... (put a voltmeter on the battery, cig lighter, and ign wire harness and the voltage doesn't change.) I'm assuming its a ground issue, but have no clue where the ground wire is / bolts to...[*]My suspension seems way to week, about 300 lbs and its squatting to the overloads with my mud flaps hitting the ground... Any suggestions or is suppose do that?[*]I think the power brakes are going out, It just seems like it isn't helping as much as it should, and whenever I release the brake pedle (@ idle) the engine idles up...[/ol]Any suggestions would be great, not sure about where the ground is for the dash lights, not sure what I need to do to get the suspension back. Is there a simple part on the power brakes that goes out or do I need to replace the whole unit?

[hr][align=center]I wanted to thank you guys for the help and quick reply... It's nice to know you can go somewhere for help...
[/align]
Old February 15th, 2008, 4:21 PM
CF Active Member

ok the rear suspension shouldnt sag that low unless you have one heavy a$$ trailer, you can replace the rear shocks and coils to stiffen the back up or go with a nice air ride system in the back so you can control how high and how low you want it to sit, umm *** far as the brakes go its possible you need a new booster, pull the vacuum line off the booster and see if there is any brake fluid in it, hope that helped some,

john
Old February 15th, 2008, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

I mean if i have my dad (160 lbs) and my brother (160 lbs) both on the bumper, the mud flaps drop about 2.5 to 3 inches are about 1/2 an inch from the ground. I know I need shocks but I didn't think that they supported the weight of the vehicle on them. Do you mean addon coils?

I pulled the line off and don't see any brake fluid in it, nor am I missing any from the resivoir. Should there be brake fluid in the booster?
Old February 15th, 2008, 6:14 PM
Super Moderator

No there shouldn't be any fluid in the booster. There maybe a leak in the line running to the booster from the engine. And yes you are correct, the shocks (by themselves) do not support the truck, they only dampen vibration as you drive down the road. It sounds like either your leaf springs are shot (which I have never heard of) or there is something loose/broken on both sides of the axel.
Old February 15th, 2008, 8:48 PM
CF Active Member

yes see if there is a way u can bolt on coils or an airbag system.. if there is nothig broken under the back half of the car your sjocks should be hanged to a more stiffer shock. he said there was no fluid missing from the resevoir. it could be the seals in the master cylinder allowing the fluid to pass by instead of pressurisig it.