Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

fifth wheel towing

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2008, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fifth wheel towing

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 3500. I am interested in buying a Keystone Big Sky fifth wheel travel trailer. My info book for my truck says I can tow up to 11,800 pounds. The new Big Sky would weigh in at 12,000 +. Is there anything I can do to my 1 ton truck to make it tow a larger trailer?
My husband says NO....but I wonder???? I do have the trailer hauling package on this truck. It has the manual shift capabilities. It's also not a four wheel drive....it does have a back seat...and a long truck bed.
Please help....
Thanks...
Bozo
Old February 16th, 2008, 1:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: fifth wheel towing

Is the 11,800# for a pull-behind trailer or did the info book not specify?
Old February 17th, 2008, 9:07 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: fifth wheel towing

I tow an rv andagree with you husband.

Safety is everything,a truck that is not rated properly for the load is unsafe. You must be able to pull the load and not overload the truck and you must be able to stop the load in a reasonable distance.

It is best to have a truck rated 25% over the load of your trailer, hard to do now that trailers have got so heavy.

Best to go with a diesel,

Visit the various dealers, the booklets with have published tow ratings of the trucks.

Also remember, if your trailer is like ours you have a lot of other stuff in trailer that must be counted in overall trailer wieght.Must know your overall trailer weight!!!!!

Good luck and be safe,