Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

flowmaster 40 series Issue??

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2012, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flowmaster 40 series Issue??

I currently own a 1996 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab and i am looking to install a flowmaster muffler on my truck. I researched what i want and i decided on the flowmaster 40 series. The only problem is that my truck has dual pipes coming out the cats and into the stock muffler and a single pipe going out. The flowmaster 40 series that i have seen has the opposite. A single slot in and dual slots going out for the dual exit. I don't want the dual exit on my truck i just want the single rear exit out the passenger side behind the tire.

My question is can i just reverse the muffler so that the dual sides are under my truck and the single exit goes out the back in the passenger side. Are the flowmaster 40 series revesible?

This is the muffler that i want to reverse.
Attached Thumbnails flowmaster 40 series Issue??-flowmaster.jpg  
Old March 15th, 2012, 9:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they make super 40's with dual in dual out, my buddy has one on his 96 tahoe
Old March 15th, 2012, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

What if im not looking for the dual exit just the single exit out the passenger side behing the tire?? Cant i just reverse the one pictured above?
Old March 15th, 2012, 9:54 PM
CF Active Member

you could reverse it but i think it would change the sound i'm not sure because i've never reversed a muffler before. and the only ones they make with dual in single out is the super 50 and the 70 series
Old March 15th, 2012, 9:56 PM
CF Active Member

i believe it will also be restrictive if you did that because the baffles inside are made to run a certain way so it would rob fuel economy and a little bit of power.
Old March 15th, 2012, 9:59 PM
CF Active Member

Im almost positive that you dont want to reverse it it has baffling inside that is desighned for a one way flow. you might have to see if you can get that same one and have your shop fashion up a Y pipe that goes from 2 to one. flow masters are nice and sound good but thier life span is already fairly short if you try to reverse it its not gonna last long at all
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Alright thanks for the help buddy i appreciate it.
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:16 PM
CF Active Member

yes sir good luck with your exhaust that flowmaster will sound sweet i had them for a bit they are good until they rot out, but well you get your money out of em thats for sure
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:31 PM
CF Active Member

personaly i wouldnt go with flowmaster but thats just me no you can turn them around due to the baffles insinde they flow bad now but if you did that it would be horrible if your set on flowmaster then they make a 50 series dual in single out or you can go witha y pipe after the dual out to make it a single pipe i would go with a magnaflow or something that has a straight through core design for beter flow and power also in my opinion sounds better than a chambered muffler but everyone likes there own things i hope it works for you and im sure you will like it until it rots out
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the heads up.
I guess i still have some more research to do.

Quick Reply: flowmaster 40 series Issue??