Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Frame rust removal - need advice

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2012, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Frame rust removal - need advice

As mentioned in other posts, my 2004 SWB 4x4 is here. It is from PA and I live in deep South Texas. The sheet metal looks fine - the frame is a different story. Probably the rust is only moderate, but it's more than I like. So - what to do? Here are the options:

(1.) drive to Corpus Christi and have Ziebart do their thing to it. Does their process remove pre-existing rust, or just spray over it? Cost - about $350.

(2.) do it myself - it may take a month working on weekends. It will be a four stage thing - wire brush scrubbing, anti rust compound, priming, and painting. Cost - about $350 and a lot of time. Pros - it'll be done right. Cons - I'm 67 years old, don't need all those chemicals falling on my face , and there are spots I won't be able to reach.

(3.) take it to a body shop, have them pull the bed, and basically do what I was going to do, but with power tools, and a lift. Cost - maybe $1,000.

FWIW, this vehicle is a long term retirement project, provided that I last as long as it does, and eventually I want it restored to original. Mechanically it is perfect, body is good, frame does not meet my criteria. Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Gene, in Brownsville, Texas, way down at the southern tip of the state.
Old August 27th, 2012, 1:25 AM
CF Active Member

You live in Texas? why not just get another truck? I've got an 1988 1500 thats been in NY the whole time, still pretty solid frame. Rustoleum "Reformer" is a little expensive but its supposed to chemically change the rust or something like that. I'd look into it, it'd be a whole lot cheaper then the things you listed
Old August 27th, 2012, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Truck is a very hard to find swab 5-sod v-8. I looked everywhere, P A was the only place I found one in reasonably good shape. I'm going to clean the frame then paint it with some kind of rust converter. Long term project is to restore the vehicle to original condition.
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
CF Active Member

Ask body shop how much to sandblast after they pull the bed. It would take a fraction of the time and they charge by the hour. Plus you could address any rust issues on the bottom of the bed this way at the same time. Only way to do it right is to be able to access all the parts you need/want to do.
Old August 28th, 2012, 6:40 PM
CF Active Member

hey really good point Grumpy... some shops do sand blasting pretty damn cheap, you might even be able to get an estimate from a few shops, then take the lowest one and post on Craigslist for $100 less asking if someone is willing to sand blast your frame for that much, might find some "shade tree mechanic" that will do it for ya
Old September 6th, 2012, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

After a few mornings underneath the vehicle trying to remove the rust, very definitely going to a shop! Found a high quality inexpensive shop - he'll remove everything but the cab and go at the frame with the sand blast. He does not recommend encapsulating the rust, but removing it as much as possible, then undercoating. He also wants to spray with diesel oil the very hard to reach inner portions. Will go that route. This is first order of business for me before I do anything else with this vehicle.
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:48 AM
CF Active Member

What I would do... Sand blast frame and all components, prime with a black sandable primer, sand with 400 grit paper, paint with a satin black paint. If you plan on a restoration in the future then undercoating is bit going to look correct. Why do it bow and have to redo it again later? Do it right once and it will last and look good. I would NOT use diesel oil if I were doing it on mine. Take your time and do it right once, blast everything down to clean raw steel prime and paint.
Old September 6th, 2012, 8:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Naval Jelly

If you have more rust than it can handle - something's really wrong with your frame, and I wouldn't trust it. For all the cost and all the hassle, it almost sounds like it's cheaper to replace frame itself.