Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

fried pcm?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2011, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation fried pcm?

A few weeks ago i had a new stereo installed and everything was running great. After a week and a half of driving, and im a contractor so i drive alot, the engine started to run a little off. All the gauges looked good and no check engine light. I had a friend use a scanner and he pulled a p1632 antitheft/ fuel injector disable code. Reseaching this online I discoverd the factory radio was very important. I put the factory radio back in went to the dealer and had the tech 2 put on. Mechanic said everything looked good, but may need a throttle body soon and that one side was a little lean. I asked what i needed to do to put the stereo back in and was told that as long as the data wire wasnt grounded it wouldnt be a problem. The truck ran pretty good for the next couple days then i put the aftermarket radio back in and cut the data wire and caped it so it wouldnt ground. Back to the same rough running. By rough running i mean now as much power as should be there a little vibration, and ticking ( machaninc said it could be spark knock from injector cleaner i put in). Finally got a cel though the good old 0449 evap vent solenoid. Back to the forums and got that straightened out and also found out about the $150 dollar harness for the stereo so got that too. Fixed evap code friend reset light to make sure i fixed the problem. It ran good for about 6 hrs then back to crap. Again no light no codes. It 10:30 pm in the process of checking plugs and wires, maf, throttle body, egr. In the morning gonna try fuel pressure test, vacuum test. Going to get it smoked asap bcs i think i still may have a small vac leak. Long explanation i know but im at the end of my rope. Been a great truck have taken very good care all regular maint, no hotdoging in it, although i pull a trailer 75 percent of the time so i know it works hard but i try to maintain it. Could the radio have fried the pcm and im not getting codes or cels that i should be getting pls help