Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

friend needs help with a mod gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2008, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default friend needs help with a mod gone wrong

hello, im posting this to help my friend josh

my friend and i wanted to port and polish theheads of his05 so we did some reserch to see what we needed to use. we read that you can sand blast the heads so thought we would go that way. after doing it thetruck runs like crap and has low compression. we dident want to take the motor appart to port it as we have no real tools and we porb. couldent put that vortec back togeather to save our lives so we decided to put the sand in the intake and let the motor do the porting for us. we had to go slow and thetruck had a hell of a time staying started. my question is dose he need to replace his rings or port the heads some more, diffrent sand,or what? we also knew there would be sand in the motor after this so we took the drain plug out of the oil pan and ran the hose through it to clean it out and put in 3 extra qts. of oil on top of what the manual says to use to help re lube everything. its now hard to start and runs like crap and really wont idle. any ideas? i know little about cars but my friend josh is used to working on old fords and says that its normal and that we didentput enough in. i think we used 3/4 of a 25lb bag.

thanks
Old May 30th, 2008, 8:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: friend needs help with a mod gone wrong

First of all making the intake and headssmooth is a mistake.[sm=badidea.gif] The roughness of the intake makes the air and fuel mix better because of the turbulence it causes. Its done by design. Good thing to clean it, but not so good to port it.[/align][/align][/align]Secondly, Are you crazy? You putSAND in the INTAKE? No wonder it runs like crap. It has low compression because you have worn out the cylinder walls with abrasive sand.If you are skeptical about what I'm talking about, then ask yourself what the purpose of an air filter is. To keep dirt and dust out of the engine right? [/align]I'd probably say he needs the whole engine rebuilt and if he wants it ported and polished, then have it ported and polished. So now, trying to save about 2 hours by "letting the engine sandblast", you are going to spend several days if not weeks rebuilding it.[/align][/align][/align]I'm sorry if it seems like I'm flaming you,[sm=imsorry.gif] but that was an extremely stupid thing to do.[sm=wtf.gif][/align] [/align][/align][/align][/align]EDIT: I don't think you are th only one to have tried this....[/align]http://www.audiforums.com/m_693578/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm[/align]
Old May 30th, 2008, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

wow that sucks, your kind of telling me what i suspected. i hope i dont come off as the idiot here. it was his idea to do it that way. i just went along with the "trust me".to be honist with you i told him it was a bad idea. at least its not my truck and at least were not the only ones. lol
Old May 30th, 2008, 9:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, lets just say that I took it lightly on you. To be honest, you came off as an idiot. Don't be toooffended if you get some rude comments from other members.[/align]
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:10 PM
CF Junior Member

TROLL!
Old May 31st, 2008, 7:05 AM
CF Pro Member

[sm=wtf.gif] It's got to be a joke .... right ??
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:41 AM
CF Active Member

(if this isn't a joke I'd like to say one thing)
As a novice, I knownothing* about engines.

*Except not to put sand in it.

Huge bone-headed move.

Old June 1st, 2008, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

ok so yesterdayhe (i wasent there)went and got some tools and took the heads off.he "looked in eatch cylinder and sall that the rings looked fine sohe just used some 50 grit sandpaper to clean the crap off the pistons, walls, and heads." he said that hes got most of it back togeather but he striped a few holes out when puting it back together but told me that he wasent too worried about it.
Old June 1st, 2008, 9:09 PM
CF Active Member

Oh man this just keeps getting better...and worse for him.
Old June 1st, 2008, 9:47 PM
CF Junior Member

lmao wow what were you thinking?

Quick Reply: friend needs help with a mod gone wrong