Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Front brake grabbing and locking!

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2014, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Front brake grabbing and locking!

I recently bought a 2010 Chevy Silverado LS with 4.8L with 28,000 miles.
I have noticed a few problems.

First is that the brake pedal feels like it catches on something. When press the brake pedal it will not move and have to apply more force. It will break free and act normal. If the brake is held in one spot for some time then want to apply more brake it will do the same thing. However this does not happen all the time, as sometimes brakes seem to be normal. I have looked at the pedal assembly and do not see anything that is catching. I have also removed fuse for abs and still happens. If I remove either front caliper and press brake it will catch on the first press on the pedal but not any time after.

Second, I was driving approximately 45 mph applying a steady light brake going on a right turn on ramp. The front driver break grabbed hard steering the truck to driver side after a second or two it released and drove fine. I took home pulled calipers off pistons moved freely, slide pins clean and greased, hose was firm and no leaks, pad and rotors in great shape, brake fluid clean and full.
My wife was driving the following day and she was applying break around a slight right corner when front driver brake grabbed hard again. She was going approximately 25 mph.

Last issue I have noticed is when I press the traction control button nothing changes. The light on the button does not change or the traction control light on dash does no come on. I have checked fuses.

Thank you for the help in advance.
Old June 18th, 2014, 5:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey there 907_Chevy,

I'm sorry to hear of the complications that you are experiencing with your Silverado. I will be glad to look further into your concern and contact your dealership in order for your vehicle to be properly diagnosed. Please feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, current mileage, VIN, and dealership name. I look forward to hear from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care