Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Front door speakers

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2012, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front door speakers

The speakers in the front driver door on my 2000 silverado 1500 sound like they are cracked. I want to replace them but need to know how to get to them. Does the door panel have to come off of does the grill come off with out taking the door panel off. Thanks again for your help.
Old July 17th, 2012, 6:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be like my 2002.
Pry the plastic cover off that's behind the door handle.
Pry out the plastic door lock control.
Pry off the window/lock control (pull up on the side fartherest away fro the glass).
Disconnect the electrical connectors from the back of the window/lock control.
Pop off the outside mirror screw cover (on the inside of the door, above the door panel, covering the outside mirror mounting bolts) Pull the top straight away from the door.
Remove the screw behind the door pull handle holding the door panel on.
Remove the screw under the window/lock control holding the door panel on.
Grab the door pull handle and lift straight up, toward the top of the door.
Once the door panel is loose, support the door panel holding it close to the door and disconnect the electrical wires connected to the small tweeter speaker and courtesy light on the rear lower part of the door panel.
The small tweeter speaker is mounted on the door panel with 2 nuts on plastic studs which are part of the speaker.
The 6 1/2 inch main speaker is mounted to the door.
The bracket built into the main speaker pops into the door. Press down on the flat part at the very top and the speaker will pull out.
Disconnect the speaker wire connectors on the back of the speaker.

Reverse order to reassemble.

I replaced the 6 1/2 inch speakers with some 4 way Sony I bought from WalMart for $37. Had to drill some holes in the door, very easy to do. I left the small tweeter speakers in, but disconnected since they were not working either. Since the new 6 1/2 have a tweeter, I'm not missing out on anything.

Note: Empty the storage pocket on the bottom of the door panel before removing it from the door (keeps you from spilling that stuff out onto the ground and feeling stupid, or so I heard)

If you want/need to remove the speaker grill cover, you can get it off by bending the tabs on the back side of the door panel after getting the door panel off the door. Don't try to remove it without removing the door panel from the door.
Old July 17th, 2012, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the instructions. I'll probably give it a try soon.