Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

fuel guage problem

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2010, 1:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel guage problem

my fuel guage has been doing this for a while it will read normal half the time but will will usually read either full or empty when i turn the key on and wont move but if i turn it off and then back on again it will read the actual level and was at one time going back and forth really fast empty to full and would max out at full and and eventually out of no where would start working again. is it just the float in the tank or bad wiring to the guage or something?
Old April 8th, 2010, 3:35 PM
CF Junior Member

What year is your truck? My brother was having a problem like this with his '01
Old April 8th, 2010, 5:04 PM
CF Junior Member

its a 97
Old April 17th, 2010, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default fuel guage

I have a 2001 Silverodo and it does the same thing when the truck is sitting still the guage shows empty and fuel low light comes on. As soon as you move the truck it will bounce back to the correct amount.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

I recently purchased a 2000 Silverado 5.3L and after filling it up, the "Low Fuel" light came on and the gauge did not move up to the full mark. I too would like to know what the problem is.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 4:59 PM
CF Junior Member

could be fuel sender in tank or put in chevron fuel additive
Old May 1st, 2010, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

just curious, what does the fuel additive do for the guage? I would venture a guess that the fuel level sensor is bad. Seen it a ton of times. Not sure if you still can, but when I was a wrench you could get the fuel level sensors for these without buying the whole fuel pump module. I've also seen a few that the hose from the pump up to the mudule housing was too long and would interfere with the travel of the float arm. Good luck.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 8:31 AM
CF Junior Member

it is to clean the sender so it reads. over time the the fuel sender get dirty and fucturate so the fuel adative clean it up
Old May 3rd, 2010, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

I guess that makes sense, but i've never seen one that was just dirty. The fuel level sensor has some tiny little spring fingers on it that touch different contacts on the sensor, and these little spring fingers wear through, causing the guage to fluctuate and read full when it's not.
Old September 8th, 2010, 4:29 PM
CF Active Member

my friend has a 2000 z71 and when he bought the vehicle he had the same problem. it is the fuel float, he had his replaced and hasnt had a problem ever since. the fuel float is inside the gas tank and raises or lowers depending on the level of fuel, thus the name fuel float, that is what tells th sensors how much gas is in the tank, the problem you all are all experiencing is that your fuel float is occasionally getting stuck either up or down. thats why it either reads full or empty when this problem happens, i dont think it is terribly expensive to have replaced but its defidently a common problem

Quick Reply: fuel guage problem