Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Fuel Pump Replace now Timing is Off

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2011, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Replace now Timing is Off

Hi, my name is John and I have an interesting question.

2 weeks ago my truck died and wouldn't start. I couldn't get it towed to my normal shop because of bad weather so they towed it to the Chevy dealer. Diagnosis was that it needed a new fuel pump...they replaced that and I picked it up a day later. As soon as I started driving it, I noticed that is was "Missing" or "skipping" at hiway speeds...took it back...they drove it over 100 miles and could not replicate. a few days later I noticed that the issue got worse...during acceleration the power was surging and still doing it at hiway speeds...took it to the dealer...they kept it 7 hours and still could not diagnose the issue...but an EGR valve fault had come up. I took the truck home and replaced the EGR valve to see if if would make a difference...nothing. Today I took it to my normal shop and they found a coolant leak and the timing was way off...they will be fixing it in a few days.

My question...could the fuel pump replacement have anything to do with this timing issue? The truck ran fine until the pump was replaced. Is there anything with the computer that the dealer would have to do with that repair? Any advice would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
John
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope. I doubted you ever needed a fuel pump in the first place. I dont know what the coolant leak is about but I think you have an electrical problem coming from the distributor, PCM, or some wacked out sensor, RPM comes to mind. But a bad PROM or PCM would give you these symptoms and NEVER leave a code.