Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Fuses Related to Trailering??

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2009, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuses Related to Trailering??

I have a 2004 Silverado with a 7 prong trailer harness kit.

The reverse lights are suppose to be hooked up to the centre pin so that when the truck goes into reverse, it turns of the brake solenoid on the boat trailer, which then turns the disc brakes on the trailer of, allowing me to reverse.

I have looked through the manual for fuses related to the traielr wiring, and checked a bunch under the hood and they all seem to be fine.

Are there any other fuses I should check and where would they be??

Thanks so much for any help, it is much appreciated!
Ian
Old March 19th, 2009, 8:55 AM
CF Active Member

is it a factory plug or was it added?
Old March 19th, 2009, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

I beleive factory plugged.. Truck was bought used and the dealer made the impression to me that they installed it.
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If it's seven pin, more than likely it's a popular factory trailering package which comes with a class I hitch on many models now.
Assuming that you've had no changes from stock wiring:
1)- page 5-125 of your owner's manual-(interior fuses, block located at driver's side dash left lower edge) on page 5-125 at the bottom of the page on the left "LT TRLR ST/TRN"-Left Turn Signal/Stop Trailer
2)On the same page, on the right "RT TRLR ST/TRN"-Right Turn Signal/Stop Trailer
3)Same page, above #1), "VEH CHMSL"-Vehicle and Trailer High Mounted Stop Lamp
4)Page 5-124, "SEO ACCY" -Special Equipment Option Accessory
5)Page 5-126- at "Center Instrument Panel Fuse Block" located underneath the instrument panel, to the left of the steering column,"SEO"-Special Equipment Option, and "TRAILER"-Trailer Brake Wiring
6)Under the hood,(Owner's Manual Page 5-128 thru 131) the fuse block is over the driver side wheel well.(Some creative rodent set up housekeeping in mine a few years ago, tearing insulation off the firewall to line his "nest", the little beggar.)"STUD 2"-Accessory Power/ Trailer Wiring Brake Feed.
7)Under the hood-"TRL PARK"-Parking Lamps Trailer Wiring
8)Under the hood "TRL B/U"-Backup Lamps Trailer Wiring

Before you start ripping your(by relative standards) very dependable truck apart, I would like to point out here that there's a good reason auto parts stores are so well stocked with replacement wiring for trailers. They are notorious for having faulty wiring. Exposure to weather 24/7/365 and the dunking boat trailers take when when they launch boats, combined with having minimal suspension, wreaks havoc on trailer wiring. Make sure the trailer's OK before blaming the truck.

B'dee,B'dee,B'dee- That's all folks!

Last edited by therewolf; March 19th, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Relating to the same topic but kinda of a trailer wiring question.

The wire for the reverse lamps which is hooked to the centre prong on the truck is there.
When I popped the trailer plug apart there is no wire going to the centre pin and there are two wires just hanging there. One red, one black.

I tried hooking up the red one last night and the trailer brakes still locked up. Should I try the black one?
I am assuming something on the trailer end would have to be hooked up to the centre pin on the trailer plug for it to receive power to turn of the solenoid on the trailer.. correct?

There is nothing hokoed up to the centre pin and one screw hook up has nothing attached to it either.

Thanks for all your help!
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Black is always ground and red I believe should be a constant 12v supply, if I remembered correctly, and think that reverse is usually purple. Pictures would help alot.
Old March 19th, 2009, 4:58 PM
CF Veteran

Default plug

it's not a factory plug if you too0k it apart and found wire's hanging loose ,they are sealed from the factory ! get a test light and check the two wires they may not be hooked up on the other end ,if not trace them to see if one goes to the batter for a 12 volt lead or is hot when you put it in reverse .

Last edited by old dog; March 19th, 2009 at 5:01 PM.
Old March 19th, 2009, 5:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, what those other guys said.

Also google "7-Pin socket boat wiring" most companies give you everything except the keys to their safe.
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:36 PM
CF Active Member

oh to the contrary when it comes to trailer wiring black is not always ground white is
Old March 22nd, 2009, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks lads, turns out river eye is right, not the truck, everything is fine on the truck end... Going to take the boat and trailer to a trailer place sometime soon!!

Thanks for all the information and hel, this is a great board!