Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Gas Gauge "Flipping"

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2007, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Gauge "Flipping"

I just bought an 01 Silverado. So far the only problem is the gas gauge flips to E from where it should be erratically (sp). I've been reading some of the posts about gauges going nuts but most of them address 03 to 06 models. Is this the same problem? I read "Chevy says come in and we'll give you a new gauge set for $400.00"? Is this right?
Thanks,
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Gas Gauge "Flipping"

As an electro-mechanical tehnician, my first thought would be there is a short somewhere between the sending unit in the tank and where ever it connects to the cluster or computer. Climb under your truck ( if you can) and find your wiring harness that goes from the tank to the truck. Chase the whole thing down and check for any shorting or rubbing wires. Again this comes from no chevy bulletin or anything like that, just my electro-mechanical skills and training. If you don't find anything atleast you've ruled that out, and if you do find it you've saved yourself a $400 cluster. If you end up leaning towards a cluster, try a junk yard unit first if you are mechanically inclined enough to change that on your own. Its actually not too hard, if you need a walkthrough pm me and I can do a quickie writeup for you. Good luck.
Old March 7th, 2007, 3:23 AM
art
CF Junior Member

RRJORG it is probably the sending unit inside the fuel tank, this is a very common problem on Chev trucks. I have an 01 2500 HD and it did the same thing yours is doing, it was out of warranty but the Chev. dealer fixed it anyway because they have had so many trucks doing the same thing. They have to pull the gas tank to make the repair, but had mine fixed in 1 day.
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:08 PM
CF Junior Member

My dad has an 02 2500HD w/ the same problem...Like ART said, it is a VERY common problem....my guess on cost is around $500 for the part.
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

Mine did the same thin it's the "fuel sending unit", you might want to save some money here too, and do the fuel pump while the tank is down. Mine is a 99. Good Luck. -Ryan
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

I posted on someone elses question but this is an easy fix first don't drop the tank thats to hard to do, take the bed of the truck off 4 bolts and the disconnect the wires going to the tag lights (oh yea and the gas filler neck couple screws and a grounding strap)then get a couple buddies and lift the bed straight up and off it's a little heavy but way easier than dropping the tank in my opinion then take the ring off the pump and then take the fuel sending unit off the pump and replace the fuel sending unit ONLY you don't have to replace the whole pump you can just get the sending unit you just have to look around. I can't remember where i got mine from but it took some looking around to find it
Old April 4th, 2007, 2:45 PM
CF Junior Member

The issue is because of the sulfur in the gasoline. It eats at and destroys the sending unit( actually the silver used in it )in the tank causing the erratic gauge performance. Unfortunately, there is no cure short of a replacement. You can replace the whole pump or just the SU if you can find it as the guy above said. However, the same thing will happen again( in time obviously )unless you do something to help prevent it from happening to the new one( or with newer vehicles not having the problem yet ).

Run abottle of Techron Plus( GM stuff is same exact thing relabeled - get correct size as they have a small bottle for cars and a large bottle for truck sized tanks)once every 3000 miles or say at every oil change. I run abottle every month. Not only will it help keepyour fuel system clean and free from carbon build up and other depostis but it will help to protect your sending unit in the tank from the sulfur. I have read a very few posts where guys say they just started experiencing the gas gauge issue and ran the Techron and it cleared it up. Generally however, once it starts, it is too late to do anything.

This link will give you more info...

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...ate_plus.shtml

I am sure there are other brands that can do the same job but this stuff is about the best product out there for THIS purposeand as said it is what GM themselves use( under the GM label ). GM even uses Chevron gas for all their auto testing because it is the best product. TP+ contains the same base detergents/additives. Unlike what I have seen with other fuel system cleaners my vehicles actually run smoother and get a little better MPG when it is in the tank.