Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2013, 12:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For 2008 and newer vehicles, the highway mileage testing is done at an average of 48 MPH with a max of 60 MPH at 75 degrees F. I didn't find the information for city driving testing regulations.
Old February 26th, 2013, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem. 2011. Mine has 15,000 miles. I get maybe 12 mpg in the city on a very good day. Also, the ,mileage reader on the truck is different from when you do the old fashioned fill it up, drive it and then fill it back up again and then do the math. I feel completely ripped off. I basically get 11 mpg in the city and excpected much more than that. Did you figure out a way to improve the mileage?
Old February 26th, 2013, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Silverado gas guzzler

I'm having the same problem. 2011. Mine has 15,000 miles. I get maybe 12 mpg in the city on a very good day. Also, the ,mileage reader on the truck is different from when you do the old fashioned fill it up, drive it and then fill it back up again and then do the math. I feel completely ripped off. I basically get 11 mpg in the city and excpected much more than that. Did you figure out a way to improve the mileage?

Originally Posted by Delbert51
Hello everyone. I'm a long time Chevrolet / GM driver (my father worked at GM for 30 years) but a first time writer to this site. I purchased a 2011 Silverado 1500 in September to replace a 2003 Silverado 1500 and absolutely love it except for the gas mileage. The truck obviously has active fuel management which I assumed would result in an upgrade in MPG over my previous Chevy Silverados (I also owned a 2000 Silverado 1500 before the 2003 unit). So far, however, the gas mileage is actually worse. The sticker notes to expect 21 MPG highway (with a range of 17-25 MPG) and 15 MPG city (with a range of 12-18 MPG). I am getting nowhere close to that fuel efficiency. I am getting around 10 MPG in city driving and 14 1/2 MPG on the highway. I thought maybe this was the engine just breaking in but I don't think that is the case any longer.

I took a trip from Cleveland to Buffalo a few weeks ago, which was my first extended highway driving with the vehicle. I was burning normal 87 octane unleaded gasoline (not E85). In almost 100% highway driving (no jackrabbit starting and stopping), the truck got 14.1 MPG on the way to Buffalo and 14.2 MPG on the way back to Cleveland. On the way back to Cleveland, I had the DIC on the screen showing instantaneous fuel mileage and if the engine was in V8 or V4. I had the cruise control set at 73 miles per hour. I had nothing in tow and had no additional cargo in the truck (besides my wife!). Besides stopping at the tool booth on I90 when you exit NY and go into PA, I only had one other instance where I had to take off the cruise control. I watched the DIC for about 100 miles like this from Buffalo to Erie, PA (all while traveling on I90) and the only time the engine went into V4 was the two times I took off the cruise control (traffic was extremely light during my drive). It was in V8 the rest of the time and showed an instantaneous MPG anywhere from 12 to 18 MPG based on whether I was traveling on flat road (which is most of that drive) or on a slight incline or decline. I assume that this can't possibly be correct since the active fuel management (I would think) should drop the engine into V4 when driving at just above posted speed limits on flat interstate. I took the truck into the dealer to check and they tell me that everything is working properly - they completed diagnostics and took it for a short test drive. The truck does go into V4 and shows instantaneous 99 MPG if I'm at interstate speeds and turn off the cruise control or completely let off the gas.

Has anyone else purchased a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD crew cab and checked their gas mileage results? If so, I would appreciate it if you could please let me know if you are seeing similar results to mine or if you are getting fuel consumption at close to the sticker estimates. If anyone has any other ideas on why this might be occurring I would appreciate hearing them as well. Or is it just normal for the truck to never go into V4 when on an interstate on flat terrain if you have the cruise control set above some speed less than the 73 I was traveling? I am o.k. with around 15 MPG on the highway if that is what I wind up getting - I didn't buy the truck to worry about gas mileage (it's not my primary vehicle for daily transportation and I'll wind up using it most of the time to lug around my trailer and four wheeler). However, if this is all that I (or anyone with a similar vehicle) should expect, it would be better for GM to let customers know that up front. If my results are not typical, I'd like to know that as well so I can take the next step and contact GM directly to see how to proceed. Thanks for your help.
Old February 26th, 2013, 8:56 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by becmario
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> becmario,

The MPG listed on the sticker is an estimate; MPG will vary based on driving conditions, environment, towing and various other conditions.

There are tips on how to get better gas mileage tips available at: Gas Mileage Tips

Have you consulting with a certified technician regarding this concern?

Please feel free to PM me if you have additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 6th, 2013, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default excessive oil consumption

Chevy finally decide to look at my 2010 silverado 4x4 ( after a lot of jumping through hoops on my part) for the oil consumption problem. They found a problem !! All of the ring gaps in the oil rings on each of the 8 cylinders were lined up in a line. Must have been somebody's first day on the job at the motor assembly line
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by wellmax
what differential does your truck have???

they did make some with 3.73 and 4.10
if your truck has one of these lower ratio differentials it will not get the mileage of a truck with the 3.42 or 3.23 ratio.

also might try to find a station in your area that sell non-ethanol gas, if you can, try a few tanks and see if the mileage goes up.

however, my friends new Camero with 6.2 motor and fuel management system locks up on 4 cylinder mode during interstate driving, he gets in the low twenty's, but when he want to go that thing will kick butt.

Maybe a Camaro???
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> becmario,

The MPG listed on the sticker is an estimate; MPG will vary based on driving conditions, environment, towing and various other conditions.

There are tips on how to get better gas mileage tips available at: Gas Mileage Tips

Have you consulting with a certified technician regarding this concern?

Please feel free to PM me if you have additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service

As you know, a certified GM technician will not work on gas mileage problems until after 12000 miles. That is a joke. I've been to three dealers and they all lie to me about the "break in" period now. You told me 500 miles, as does the manual. I drive my 2011 Silverado 1500 (4.3L, 4 spd auto) very conservatively... it still gets less than 9 MPG. I'm fixing all of my problems this weekend... I have no choice... I'm trading it in on an F150.
My Silverado has had many more problems than gas mileage though... and maybe these other problems are contributing to the horrible and unacceptable mileage. It doesn't matter anymore, I've been fighting these problems and fighting GM over them for almost two solid years. I've been late to work and missed work because of this lemon. I've been stranded four times because it wouldn't start or do anything at all, it's been in the shop numerous times for the same five problems:
1. gas mileage, typically 8.5 to 9.5 MPG... 3 times, I got double digits
2. brakes - front brakes locking up or chattering & "hopping" when the brake pedal is barely touched - intermittent, other times they work perfectly
3. not starting or responding at all to the key being turned on, no instrument panel lights or anything
4. cruise control going crazy or not working at all, over and under shoots the set speed... not by 2 or 3 MPH, but by 10 or 15... a couple of times it went more than 25 over... (set on 65 and went up to 90+ before I shut off cruise). Sometimes, it just works perfectly
5. Climate control doesn't work properly... part of this was fixed, the refrigerant has been recharged but no leaks or anything were fixed. Still doesn't move any air (on heat or a/c) unless fan speed is more than half. Under half, I feel nothing at all.

I was going to buy a 2014 Camaro, but after this lemon, I will never again buy another GM product. I've given up... I can't waste any more time, lose any more income, or lose my job because of the losses that this truck has caused. It has been the worst, without a doubt and without exaggeration of ***ANY*** vehicle I've ever owned. My first truck was a 1983 F-150 4x4 302, 4-spd manual, with more than 200,000 miles (when I got it) and I drove it for more than 13 years... every day. I'd rather have that truck again, it was more reliable and actually more efficient than this one... it got 11 to 12 MPG... all the time... no matter what you were doing with it.
Oh yeah, one of the GM mechanics said that the 4.3L V6 was UNDERSIZED for my vehicle which is a 2011 Silverado 1500 Regular Cab Long Bed... Undersized? How can that be my fault? I didn't design the piece of junk.
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

I've got the 3:42 rear end.......I LOVE my truck. When I need the power, it's there. My anger is at the "Estimated" MPG sticker. I've done some research and from what I understand, when they test, it's PERFECT conditions, driving on FLAT ground, and only going 45mph..........THIS, is not REAL WORLD!! The main reason I traded my V6 Toyota Tacoma, (which I LOVED), was because of the fuel mileage!! WHAT a DISAPPOINTMENT!! The Toyota estimated MPG was "DEAD ON!" The Chevrolet Z71 was VERY MISLEADNG! Nowhere near close to "REAL WORLD" driving. I'm not a hard driver, nor do I expect when pulling a trailer go get 18-19mpg. BUT, minus the trailer, real world conditions, no lead foot, the MOST I have gotten is 17mpg on the interstate. Where I live, I average 15.6. The sticker said EMPG, 17 city, 21 hwy!! That is what my argument is........DO NOT EXPECT the EMPG sticker to relate to REAL WORLD conditions. Like I said earlier, My Toyota was EXACT, and the only reason I traded for the Z71 was because of the sticker. Otherwise, I would have kept my V6 Tacoma. The STICKERS are false and VERY MISLEADING!! I mean, where is there FLAT ground and you travel 45mph???? Really?
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

I average 15.6 mpg.........When I tow, I get about 12mpg.......On the interstate, the MOST I have gotten is just over 16mpg........A long ways from the "estimated" 21mpg, the sticker claimed.......I've got 22,000 on my truck, love everything about it, EXCEPT, for the gas mileage. The stickers are misleading and WAY, inaccurate to REAL WORLD situations..
Old March 10th, 2013, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

It wasn't all that long ago that this topic was in the news. Not specific to any one manufacturer but the common trend of playing with the estimated mpg.Hyundai is in the process of settling a class action lawsuit now I believe.Google it.
Personally I have owned several gm vehicles including a few trucks. I have a 2001 s10 crew cab.Its awkward and boxy doesn't maneuver to well etc.I like the looks of the truck to be blunt.I have 90 some thousand miles,it has a 4.3 v6.If I drive responsibly on the thruway I would probably get 19 mpg.I think your decisions to buy a vehicle based on something that's proven to not be realistic is the problem.Its unfortunate that you have to really investigate purchases etc prior to making them,because getting companies to honor what they claim is getting harder and harder everyday.
So basically aside from maybe changing the gearing in the truck,you are expecting to get more out of your full size truck mpg wise than I can hope to get in my small half ton truck.Its just not realistic. I don't plan on ever buying another gm product(unless its an older one in great condition).Basically I bought my truck pretty used.I researched some odd issues I was having after I bought it and found that since its production those trucks had issues the manufacturer pretty much just walked away from.You can't even buy a new replacement gas tank for this truck,wth.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ