Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2013, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what anyone's complaining about. I have a 2010 silverado ltz crew cab with 285 70 17 winter rims and I get about 13.2 mpg and that's horrible. Bought the truck new and only got about 15 with them small *** stock tires
Old March 31st, 2013, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Premium gas is basically just for sport high compression engines. If you are using it in a truck, then you are wasting your money and actually getting worse fuel economy. It is made to be harder to burn. you may think you noticed a difference in power or economy, but it is all in your head.
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default Silverado Mileage

Originally Posted by greyhound
I have a 2010 silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 with a 6.0 litre motor [flex fuel]. The dealer gave me a free tank of gas [regular], it ran smooth but it didn`t last long. Common sense tells me a V8 wants premium gas and the manual recomends a top tier gas. My average MPG is 16.8 to 17, half highway and half around town, in the foothills of NC next to Virginia. Premium gas burns cleaner, cooler and produces more HP and better MPG. This motor has the same HP my 05 corvette had. Would you put regular gas in a vette?

I have a 2011 Silverado extended cap 4x4. I'm a remodeling contractor and it doesn't matter if I drive it empty at 55 mph on flat roads or with 1000 pounds of tools towing 2000 pounds of weight in a trailer at 75 miles and hour my gas mileage stays the same- 14.1 (always in 2 wheel drive of course). Higher octane makes no difference. My wife has a Saturn Vue rated at 24 mpg and I can milk 32 mpg out of it. That same skill set makes no difference in my Silverado. The gas mileage was to help me off set the payments but apparently I was lied to. I'm dumping the truck and going back to Ford.
Old January 20th, 2014, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Well if you are trying to meet the manufacturers numbers,obviously you would want to use what they recommend in the owners manual.Not everyone can afford to be buying new trucks or corvettes.Running premium gas,Im in n.y. I sure the hell wouldn't buy something that recommends premium,its about 4 bucks a gallon right now.I realize that's not the case in "greyhounds" area.Yet,if you can do those things,you are probably not worried enough about money to micro manage your gas mileage.
Old January 20th, 2014, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

I think it's funny most of these post happen in the winter, certainly because you get worse gas mileage in the winter, especially in cold weather climates. I live in Pittsburgh and I have a 2014 crew cab and I get fluctuations in gas mileage. I've noticed I significantly less mpg when it's really cold out and when I have additional weight in the bed. The 2014s have the ability to tell you if you are using 4 or 8 cylinders and how many mpg you are getting at that moment. When it was sub zero temps a couple of weeks back I was getting roughly 13.5 mpg. The highest average I have seen for a 50 mile period is 19.8. Most of the time I am between 15.5 and 16.5. I can tell you I get the best gas mileage from Sheetz and Costco and the worst from Giant Eagle. Anyway, I'm not looking to debunk anyone or argue, just saying that I bet most of the extremes people post on here are either due to driving habits or they just happened to check their mpg during a specific time. 3700 miles in and my lifetime avg for mpg is 15.9.
Old January 20th, 2014, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BigBlackTruck2014
I think it's funny most of these post happen in the winter, certainly because you get worse gas mileage in the winter, especially in cold weather climates. I live in Pittsburgh and I have a 2014 crew cab and I get fluctuations in gas mileage. I've noticed I significantly less mpg when it's really cold out and when I have additional weight in the bed. The 2014s have the ability to tell you if you are using 4 or 8 cylinders and how many mpg you are getting at that moment. When it was sub zero temps a couple of weeks back I was getting roughly 13.5 mpg. The highest average I have seen for a 50 mile period is 19.8. Most of the time I am between 15.5 and 16.5. I can tell you I get the best gas mileage from Sheetz and Costco and the worst from Giant Eagle. Anyway, I'm not looking to debunk anyone or argue, just saying that I bet most of the extremes people post on here are either due to driving habits or they just happened to check their mpg during a specific time. 3700 miles in and my lifetime avg for mpg is 15.9.
BTW, I have a 1500, 5.3L
Old January 20th, 2014, 7:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts
Default epa test rating vs real life

mileage ratings on the sticker are not real life driving conditions. Its basically a standardized way to compare mileage between brands and models.
The test is a laboratory test using a dynamometer, under specific temperatures and a set number of start/stops and speed. Wind drag in a non factor, A/C use is a non factor. Fuel used is measured by a 5 gas emission sniffer not by volume of fuel burned. The tests methods have been updated so new cars rate worse when they are actually more efficient.

So don't be shocked when they don't match. The manufacturers do not govern the test methods.

Last edited by tech2; January 20th, 2014 at 7:26 PM.
Old January 20th, 2014, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
mileage ratings on the sticker are not real life driving conditions. Its basically a standardized way to compare mileage between brands and models.
The test is a laboratory test using a dynamometer, under specific temperatures and a set number of start/stops and speed. Wind drag in a non factor, A/C use is a non factor. Fuel used is measured by a 5 gas emission sniffer not by volume of fuel burned. The tests methods have been updated so new cars rate worse when they are actually more efficient.

So don't be shocked when they don't match. The manufacturers do not govern the test methods.
Very interesting. I was thinking I could beat the 23 mpg hwy on the sticker, once it warms up and I can find 50 miles of roughly flat hwy(not near Pittsburgh).
Old January 20th, 2014, 9:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

The tests methods have been updated so new cars rate worse when they are actually more efficient...when compared to the cars rated under the old test method.
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

My posts weren't in the winter, at least not all of them. I had a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado with a 4.3L V6. Driving very conservatively, mine got an average of 8.65 MPG. Two Chevrolet dealers told me that I needed to buy a good name brand of fuel (Shell, BP, or Marathon - their words) and that I needed to buy at least 92 octane. That's not what the manual states. They said not to use gasoline from the local names (even if they were delivered in a BP or Shell tanker). We don't have any BP, Shell, or Marathon branded gas stations in my area.

They also told me that it takes 12,000 miles to break in a new vehicle, instead of the 500 miles that the manual states. One certified GM mechanic said that my engine was undersized for my vehicle and that was the problem. 2011 Chevy Silverado, Reg Cab, Long Bed, 4.3L V6, 4-spd automatic. I reminded him that I didn't design it or build it and if it was undersized, it is a GM problem, not mine.

Oh yeah, I had this truck for two years and I drove loaners more than I drove my own during that time. All of those got at least 14 MPG driving around town, while mine got 7, 8, or almost 9. Only out on the interstate did I ever get 10 or more. On one trip I got 13.2 and another I got 11.5. Other than those two highway trips, I never even got 10.

But my truck had numerous problems that GM never fixed.
Couldn't use cruise. It went all over the place. It constantly sped up and slowed down. Never fixed.
The ABS had all sorts of problems, the front brakes kept locking up when I barely touched the pedal. Never fixed.
During the winter... if I used the heat or defrost, the next morning... All of my windows were iced up on the inside. All the way around but heavier on the windshield. GM couldn't do anything about it unless they saw it happen, which they didn't. They did finally reset "something" on that system which they never clearly explained and that quit happening.

The whole jumping/jerking backward deal when starting it cold. I wasn't aware of this problem until after it happened several times and I searched online for it. Something about the torque converter... in certain situations, if you started it cold, the truck would jump backward. I said jerk earlier, at that is what it felt like. But it would actually move a few inches. It did it 2 or 3 times and I thought it was a fluke. It didn't happen for a while and I wasn't thinking about it. I went to my truck after work, opened the door, reached in to start it. This is because I cover the seat and take off a long-sleeved work shirt which is worn over my t-shirt on all work days, not just when it is cold, as I work in maintenance. The truck slammed/jerked/jumped back so hard that the open door hit me in the left arm & shoulder. It was enough to knock me off balance and down to a knee. If a car was parked behind me, it might have hit it. Another person came running over because they thought my truck was taking off in reverse. GM's solution was that I wasn't starting my Silverado properly or safely. That meant: seated, seat belt buckled, door closed, foot securely pressing brake pedal, then turn the ignition. Ok, that may be the right way but no vehicle should start up as if you've turned the key and immediately slammed it in reverse because that is what it sounded like. You could hear the abuse of the transmission and the u-joints, everything slammed hard when this happened.
A co-worker and I tested this out several times. We marked the ground by the tire, started it, and it would jerk. It wouldn't do this all the time, not even most of the time, but when it did, it was a big surprise. Sometimes, the truck moved back only about an inch. The last time we tried it and measured, it moved back nearly 6 inches, probably the same as when it hit me and knocked me down.

Numerous problems. It was taken in to a Chevrolet dealer at least 17 times. Only one of the many problems was ever fixed. I would take it in for gas mileage, brakes, or cruise control problems and they'd drive it all of maybe 1 or 2 miles. One time they had it for 7 days, they put 0.4 miles on it and couldn't find any problems. Another time, they had it for 10 days, they put 2.5 miles on it and couldn't find any problems.

The last three months I had it, I checked gas mileage every time. The average was the 8.65 that I mentioned above.

I missed two days of work because it wouldn't even start, I almost forgot to mention that. I'd turn the key and nothing would happen, no response at all. But not a dead battery. They never solved this mystery, either.

I traded this Silverado in on an 2013 F-150 (I was not a Ford guy). I just couldn't get Chevy to do anything with that lemon. I gave up fighting it. I was so relieved that the pile of garbage was gone.

Now, I get 17 or so MPG. I do get down to 13 or 14 if I drive it a little crazy, but normally right at 17 in town.

Originally Posted by BigBlackTruck2014

Quick Reply: Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ