Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2014, 7:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

imo a tuner is your best bet...but $500 for a tuner buys a lot of fuel for maybe a 1-2mpg gain.
my 06 4x4 2600hd 6L 4L80E, 4.10 rear end, extended cab long box was a 6000lb truck got at best 17mpg 100% highway and averaged 12mpg city
Old January 30th, 2014, 7:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
are you an automotive engineer?

cai are a complete waste. Most products out there are do not even isolate the intake air source from engine heat. On newer trucks the air flow calculations are so precise from factory that aftermarket cai are setting false dtc. The less restrictive filter cones don't meet filtering standards and end up gunking up the maf. its a $300 piece of jewellery.

I have a Masters in Electrical Engineering and I specialize in Power and Control Systems. I was also an aviation mechanic and an industrial electrician. But, enough about me. What are your qualifications?

Anyway, I keep my 2011 Silverado 5.3L with 30k miles stock, because I believe that the merits of such "upgrades" do not outweigh their demerits at this time for my newer truck. However, I do believe that gentleman said his truck was 10+ years old. Replacing the intake and/or exhaust at this time for his truck will likely lead to slightly improved performance, looks, etc. I am not promising that. It is merely a suggestion. One or both that will likely be a good overall upgrade for his truck.
Old January 30th, 2014, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by '03 Heavy Chevy
I'm hoping to make one or two mods (i.e. tuning the computer) to have the transmission shift for less power but with better MPG. But, I've never messed with the truck computer, so just looking for any advice from those that have done it before and either liked it or disliked it.

I don't want to trade in my truck. Its the only truck I've owned since my son was born. Hoping to keep it and give it to him when he starts driving.

Thanks for your input!

You are welcome. If you decide to go the programmer route, make sure to read all the documentation before starting and make sure there is an easy way to get back to stock settings. And, whatever you do, don't unplug in the middle of programming. I was helping a co-worker program his Excursion and his kid pulled the plug while we were programming. Luckily, it had just finished flashing. A few seconds earlier and we could have bricked the PLC (or engine computer or ECM or whatever automotive engineers call it these days).
Old January 30th, 2014, 4:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up

imo a tuner is your best bet...but $500 for a tuner buys a lot of fuel for maybe a 1-2mpg gain.
my 06 4x4 2600hd 6L 4L80E, 4.10 rear end, extended cab long box was a 6000lb truck got at best 17mpg 100% highway and averaged 12mpg city
Wow yours got that much with a tuner? 12 mpg avg would be a big improvement over mine. For me, any savings is better than what it cost to drive my truck now. Based on my limited math skills, I'm estimating I'd save almost $1,000.00 a year if I could get to an avg of 13 mpg.
"IF" I could get to 16 mpg that would save me about $1,500.00 a year.

Originally Posted by free88
You are welcome. If you decide to go the programmer route, make sure to read all the documentation before starting and make sure there is an easy way to get back to stock settings. And, whatever you do, don't unplug in the middle of programming. I was helping a co-worker program his Excursion and his kid pulled the plug while we were programming. Luckily, it had just finished flashing. A few seconds earlier and we could have bricked the PLC (or engine computer or ECM or whatever automotive engineers call it these days).
Got it....Bannish any kids in the neighborhood to a far away kingdom until the programming is complete. LOL
Old January 30th, 2014, 8:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by free88
I have a Masters in Electrical Engineering and I specialize in Power and Control Systems. I was also an aviation mechanic and an industrial electrician. But, enough about me. What are your qualifications?

I have a college degree in chemical engineering which means I know squat about cars... but the motive power diploma, red seal certified automotive license and gm grand master technician certification with 10 years experience say otherwise. But there are plenty of people out there more knowledgeable than me.

I'm sure your smart in your field but it wouldn't qualify you to legally work on cars professionally. The reason I know about cai is I have to deal with the problems they can create...and I get my information from gm automotive engineering which contrast you cai post. Your other points I agree with.

Last edited by tech2; January 30th, 2014 at 8:55 PM.
Old January 31st, 2014, 6:03 AM
CF Beginner

I have a college degree in chemical engineering which means I know squat about cars... but the motive power diploma, red seal certified automotive license and gm grand master technician certification with 10 years experience say otherwise. But there are plenty of people out there more knowledgeable than me.

I'm sure your smart in your field but it wouldn't qualify you to legally work on cars professionally. The reason I know about cai is I have to deal with the problems they can create...and I get my information from gm automotive engineering which contrast you cai post. Your other points I agree with.

Sure it would. If its got a control system, its going to be an electrical, computer and/or industrial engineer at work. Automotive engineering degrees are rare outside of universities that are pretty much in or adjacent to Michigan. And, they don't know squat about writing code, working with transfer functions, and everything else you need to know to get that to work right. Also, Bluetooth, USB integration, GPS, the radio...to name a few, are all electrical engineering. You wont see an electrical engineer designing a muffler, but the engines control system is squarely in my field of expertise. But, you are right, I do not currently work professionally in that field. I go for money and job stability over things like bragging rights any day of the week and twice on Friday. The automotive industry is, well, less than stable. And while you can make good money, the cost of living in those areas outweigh the little extra you may make.

As to CAIs, if installed properly, you should not encounter many problems. Fact is, on older vehicles like his, there is probably already gunk on the MAF and related components in the intake. This would provide a good opportunity to inspect and replace it if necessary. Yes, you could get a DTC or two. It is still a much safer upgrade than using a programmer to modify the engines profile, which is what you are suggesting. Part of these pre-programmed profiles will call to suppress certain DTCs that would otherwise come in. And, usually, when one comes back to their senses decides to go back to stock settings, a half-dozen or so will come in. Hopefully, your super awesome fuel-saving profile doesn't do permanent damage to your engine, transmission and related components, or you could be looking at thousands of dollars in repairs. I don't know. To me, the risk does not outweigh the rewards.

However, if one simply must perform an upgrade (which is what I said in the first place), a CAI is a fairly safe and easy bet. If you are going to program, read the manual cover to cover and be aware of the risks.
Old January 31st, 2014, 7:12 AM
Super Moderator

a cai will not improve fuel mileage. Changing how air flows through the induction system won't change ideal stoichiometric fuel ratios. Getting more air in just means more fuel to meter.
The most significant fuel savings will be from a program designed for fuel economy. As long as the programmer who wrote it didn't come from some non-related industry but rather was experienced in the specific field of automotive engineering...not planes, trains or boats.

Here's another thing you don't know. In my country, you legally can't walk off the street and turn wrenches. You must be licensed or a registered apprentice working under a licensed mechanic. Its to save people from getting killed from people who think they are qualified.

As for the money I make in the flat rate system. All the booksmart computer programmer code writers would be lost if they had to actually work on the floor of a flat rate shop. Fixing your own car on your own time is one thing. Repairing a fleet of them on piece work is entirely different.
Just because I cooked diner for myself last night...doesn't mean I should be "cheffing" for the keg

Last edited by tech2; January 31st, 2014 at 7:37 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by '03 Heavy Chevy
Wow yours got that much with a tuner? 12 mpg avg would be a big improvement over mine. For me, any savings is better than what it cost to drive my truck now. Based on my limited math skills, I'm estimating I'd save almost $1,000.00 a year if I could get to an avg of 13 mpg.
"IF" I could get to 16 mpg that would save me about $1,500.00 a year.

My co-worker with the 7.3L diesel Ford Excursion claims to have seen a roughly 6 MPG combined driving increase when he runs in economy mode from his programmer. He says he is getting 18 MPG on the highway driving at 65 MPH, up from 12 MPG. Same margin in city driving.

Its hard to really know unless you compare apples to apples, over thousands of miles. Your driving habits have a lot to do with it. Maybe before his highway driving typical speed was at 75 MPH. By dropping 10 MPH he should get better MPG anyway, even without the economy profile installed. But, you know, now he is really trying to "sell" the programmer on how good it is and how good of a buy it was and so on.

Also, he changed his tire size right around the same time that he started messing around with the programmer. He had larger tires, but now came down closer to stock. That also has an effect on MPG. Its hard to know what really did it and by how much.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

what a flip flop...now your promoting the tuner option?...giving up on the cai? Your experience with turners is your friends diesel tuner....hahahah! Did you just graduate?...your so green. Posting diesel turbo tuner data for a gasser? I'll debate you in automotive knowledge any day.

Last edited by tech2; February 2nd, 2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

what a flip flop...now your promoting the tuner option?...giving up on the cai? Your experience with turners is your friends diesel tuner....hahahah! Did you just graduate?...your so green. Posting diesel turbo tuner data for a gasser? I'll debate you in automotive knowledge any day.

Clearly, I have upset the forum gods. I've already had at least two posts in this thread magically disappear. I offered you a job in the last one.

Listen, whatever, the job offer still stands. We want you working with us. We could really use an engineer of your stature around here. I don't know how much they are paying you down in Curacao or whatever, but we will double it. Make that triple!

Your vast knowledge of CAI, programmers, and general automotive blows me away. I'm, like, super-wowed.

Last edited by free88; February 2nd, 2014 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ