Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2011, 9:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abikerinpa
Hey guys and Girls , New to the forum and Just got a new 2011 gmc sierra w/t 4x4 with 5.3 with a 6 spd automatic with 3:42 gears , I was wanting to know if i could put in 4:10- 4:11 gears and run somewhat decent at 65mph ??? right now i can go about 80 @ 2100 rpms , But i was also was curious if i have do do anything else with computer or traction control etc when i go to change gears so it runs right with no computer errors popping up ? I would love to see it run about 1,900 to 2,000 rpms with the stock tires i have on it @55-65, all help greatly appreciated , thank you in advance ;-)
It would be cost prohibitive to change the gears. In a 4x4 you would have to change front and back. $$$$
Old November 9th, 2011, 6:24 AM
CF Beginner

I bought a new 2011 Silverado LT in May. It is a Z71 4x4 with a V8 @ 300 (I think) HP, not the 6.0 liter I am pretty sure. It is rated at 21 hwy and 15 city.

I drove it to work for a week or two and I drive about 27 miles. All but 4 miles is Interstate. I got up to 19 mpg on the highway alone. I was trying to see how good mpg I could get so that driving was pretty steady at about 70 mph.

My wife took a liking to it and she drives it now. Almost all of her driving is in the city. She has concentrated to see how good she can do mpg-wise. At the very best - and she REALLY works it - she gets right at 15 mpg. Driving normally she gets 14 to 14.5 and if she gets into a hurry and has a bad week she will see 13.5 - 13.9 mpg.

We have really given the gas mileage rating a test.

When I decided to buy a truck I was certain that I would buy a Tacoma. It was rated at 20/15. When I found the full size Silverado rated at 21/15 I had to try it.

Overall we are pleased with the mileage. If we drove it hard I am sure we would see very different results but I am glad to see it can get close to what they rate it at.

I drive a 2011 GMC Enclave daily. It has a 298 hp six cylinder and is rated at 24/17. It does not even get close on the city mpg. It gets 15 mpg at very best. Strcitly highway it may get 22 mpg. I average 19.5 on my weekly drive to and from work. I would have bought a Yukon Denali had I known that the gas mileage on the Enclave would be so far off of the rating.

On the other hand, I have a 2008 Corvette convertible. At 70-75 I get close to 30 mpg on the highway and it has 430 hp. It is rated at 25/16.

Now, if the truck and the Enclave were better than the rating I would be VERY happy.

I hope that you find a solution to your gas mileage. Do you have the 400 hp engine?

Good Luck.

J
Old December 14th, 2011, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

For the past 7 months I've been driving my dad's 07 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 liter.....it's not exactly gas friendly like my subaru that my sister has been driving however the mileage isn't terrible for a big truck. With the tires properly inflated and not flooring it I've managed to get around 14-15mpg around town and 16-18mpg on the highway. Traveling around 65mph the truck seems to get decent mileage on the highway
Old December 22nd, 2011, 6:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Hi guys, I had to throw my in my two cents on this. I have an 11 Z71 ext cab 5.3 and up until I jacked it up I had EXTREMELY good mileage, now it sucks. Anyway stock (the 1st 19k) I kept a steady 21mpg on the screen and thats city highway and alot of idling. I even went on a 120 mile flat hiway trip at 63 mph when it had 1k and no sh*t I averaged 30mpg! My dad has a 00 burban 5.3 with 285k that still gets 20mpg so I do stand by the 5.3 as its probably the best milage (as well as reliable) V8 out there... Based on what Ive seen here I think your problem maybe mostly the speed I see most of the post mention the 70+mph zone, around here its pretty much 55 everywhere and I notice the second I go over 65 Im at best getting 13-16... Now my other opinion on post, I always use premium have for years (company pays for gas so of course) and in all of my vehicles the milage has been slightly to noticably better, now the guys that keep posting about waste, timing, and so on, Technology man GM has plenty of it and trust me your engine knows whats in the tank by the time you pull away from the pump, we dont have distributors anymore that little box sets the timing instantly no light needed... Now if I could just get the 15 mpg your complaining about with my 35s its gone from 21 to 12, but Im pretty sure the 3.07s are the culprit and with 3.73s or 4.10s Ill be back above that, anyone have any input on which gears Im better off with?
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

will a high flow air filter like k&n with a cold air induction help with the mileage. I have an 04 with a 5.3 and it's averaging 12.3 with right around 15 to 16 on the highway. It's a 2 wheel drive lifted with after market 20" wheels with a 305/55/20 tire and after markets gears not sure what size the gears are...
Old December 23rd, 2011, 9:33 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Neal
will a high flow air filter like k&n with a cold air induction help with the mileage. I have an 04 with a 5.3 and it's averaging 12.3 with right around 15 to 16 on the highway. It's a 2 wheel drive lifted with after market 20" wheels with a 305/55/20 tire and after markets gears not sure what size the gears are...
I might get chastised for this, but IMO, k&n are a waste of money. I can't tell a lick of difference by using them. Especially in Z71 that basically have a cai with it's high capacity air system.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

The gains by using a K&N filter and CIA are not likely to be seen in a tank full of gas for MPG gains, its designed to make the engine breathe easier. The gains, if any, will come at the end of life of the vehicle, meaning its a long term investment...will the gains ever offset what you spent? maybe, maybe not, and if your not keeping your foot out of the throttle you will never see gains in MPG

As for the premium fuel, there may be some benefits but again are they great enough to offset the .25-.35 cents more per gallon for daily driving?
I use regular in my 07 5.3 Tahoe but will use mid or hi grade when towing or going into elevations....

Its my understanding that mid and hi grade gas does not contain the 10% ethanol that regular gas does... I could be wrong but that could also explain why the higher grade also may get some gains in MPG, alcohol fuels produce lower MPG...
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, any gains from an intake really depends on how restrictive the stocker is and chevys already have a massive tube and filter so I really dont see it having much effect. Now my 06 jeep Tj stock intake was very restrictive and the difference was UNBELIEVEABLE but on my Hemi and other trucks it made no difference at all... IMO Id save my money besides K&Ns and the like are a b*tch to clean and maintain...
Old December 23rd, 2011, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BIGGG11CHEVY
Hi guys, I had to throw my in my two cents on this. I have an 11 Z71 ext cab 5.3 and up until I jacked it up I had EXTREMELY good mileage, now it sucks. Anyway stock (the 1st 19k) I kept a steady 21mpg on the screen and thats city highway and alot of idling. I even went on a 120 mile flat hiway trip at 63 mph when it had 1k and no sh*t I averaged 30mpg! My dad has a 00 burban 5.3 with 285k that still gets 20mpg so I do stand by the 5.3 as its probably the best milage (as well as reliable) V8 out there... Based on what Ive seen here I think your problem maybe mostly the speed I see most of the post mention the 70+mph zone, around here its pretty much 55 everywhere and I notice the second I go over 65 Im at best getting 13-16... Now my other opinion on post, I always use premium have for years (company pays for gas so of course) and in all of my vehicles the milage has been slightly to noticably better, now the guys that keep posting about waste, timing, and so on, Technology man GM has plenty of it and trust me your engine knows whats in the tank by the time you pull away from the pump, we dont have distributors anymore that little box sets the timing instantly no light needed... Now if I could just get the 15 mpg your complaining about with my 35s its gone from 21 to 12, but Im pretty sure the 3.07s are the culprit and with 3.73s or 4.10s Ill be back above that, anyone have any input on which gears Im better off with?
let me know what you decide on gearing. your's souinds like the same set up as mine...lifted 2wd with 33". I'm still trying to figure out specifically what gear ratio mine has but it sounds like the mileage is the same, 12.6 avearage, 13 to 16 at best on the highway...
Old December 23rd, 2011, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

the othr thing i was wondering is with the lift and larger tires obviously there is more drag, but if it's a 2 wheel drive and it's lifted how will those 2 aspects affect the torque converter, can we actually lose rwhp with a stock converter and or mpgs...idk just a thought...

Quick Reply: Gas mileage in a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LTZ