Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Gas Mileage Question

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2008, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage Question

Ok. I just acquired a 1992 Chevy Silverado Ext.Cab w/ stepside bed 4x4. Everything is stock except it was given an Exciter towing packageonce upon a time. This truck has 135000 miles. It starts, runs, drives excellent. Nothing seems wrong. Has new plugs, oil, etc. After 4 fillups it seems that I am only getting around 14-15 mpg. Is this average for this engine/truck?If not, what might be causing the excess use? I have an 84 K5 Blazer w/ 350 carburated engine and same tranny (700r4/8R60LE) and it gets 19-20 mpg and it has 31" tires and a lift too.

I was expecting 20+ from this truck.....[8D]
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Gas Mileage Question

1. The truck is heavier than your Blazer
2. Its a 4x4

My '95 (2wd)gets around 13-14 city, and the best I've seen on the highway is 19 but average 17-17.5. I think its justthe nature of beast. What gears does it have?
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

for the year and equipment ,mileage i think you are doing very good !
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:57 AM
CF Junior Member

That aint bad i am getting about 15 avg on my 08, not better than 16 on the hwy. It gets the same at 60-65 as it does at 75-80.
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:43 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 98 on the highway is dead sexy. on cruise control at about 75 mph i got about 250 miles out of little less than half tank. so... about 11.5 gallons divided by 250 miles is... 21.73 mpg. that is with a K&N and at the time glass packs. around town im getting maybe 13-14 mpg but hey... gotta love the highway mileage.
Old December 10th, 2008, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

thanx for all the responses everyone. First to clear up a couple of facts here; This truck only comes in about 300-500 lbs heavier than my K5 and the K5 Blazer IS 4-WHEELDRIVE also.....don't remember any that weren't......I believe both have the same gears 3.73 stock.

After reading some responses and some other posts I have concluded the following addtional variables. My Blazer doesn't have as an aggressive tread as the new Silverado does (not much difference here but facts are facts).

Gonna give the truck some more time/experience together w/ me and proceed from there. I have only had the truck for less than a week. Today seemed to do better. Will keep ya all posted.
Old December 10th, 2008, 9:19 PM
CF Junior Member

How many miles are on the Blazer?
Old December 10th, 2008, 9:23 PM
Super Moderator

Also, its getting to be winter, running the truck to warm it before you take off and winter gas mixtures (although I don't know when they start swtiching over to it).
Old December 10th, 2008, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

The Blazer has an untold number of miles. Originally it was a diesel, now gasoline engine. The motor that's in in came with it and I have been running it hard for 3-4 years now trying to do it in as I have a GM crate engine w/ minor upgrades sitting on engine stand for it. All I managed to accomplish is destroying a locker casing in the rear end, destroying the 7000r4, and an incident w/ a steel pipe in the weeds that left it w/ twisted frame in front. Motor still runs good..... blah, blah, back to the mileage question...odometer is only 5 digits....I would guess it is on trip 2 around at least.

And No. there aren't parts. All the stuff has been repaired except the frame which is a work in progress.

Also, what is meant by "winter gas mixtures"....more detail please......
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Typically, there are two different gas mixtures used throughout the year, a summer mix and a winter mix. The differneces between the two are unclear to me, but the winter mix tends to get less MPG than the summer mix. Can someone explain this better than I can, Please?

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage Question