Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

gas/power/efficiency

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas/power/efficiency

so, 86 chevy silverado 454.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/new-member-welcome-area-4/hey-everybody-25892/

i`m looking into find ways to maintain or increase hp and torque while increasing my gas mileage...

obviously not going to be entirely possible, but to my knowledge if i can use the same amount of gas more efficiently then... there we go. ?

my first thoughts are, drain the differential and replace existing lubricant oil with synthetics... (not to mention a new gasket while i`m down there)

next up i found a custom shop that does full exhaust systems here in santa rosa, thinking about stainless steel headers and all the way back, i do have a bad exhaust manifold gasket on the passenger side so that will be nice to have fixed while upgrading exhaust system.

i was going to turbo, but am being told now that i would have to change ALOT cause of a high compression engine...

i don`t need to "increase" hp or torque i "want" to increase gas mileage, i undertsand it will never be great but to get it as good as i can is my goal.

any suggestions? thanks for your time -Dave
Old October 29th, 2009, 3:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Hi davew18,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

R-R-R!! Ya gotta love a brawny work truck!

Synthetics aren't going to produce a lot of extra MPG, but they're good, long lasting protection that's generally more cost effective than standard lubricants. You may see 1/2 to 1 MPG using all synthetics,though. Its nice when you don't have to crawl under her every 3K for an oil change, which is why I switched.

That "5-6 MPG all synthetic lube mileage improvement" must be for the smallest cars on the planet,though, because I haven't seen near that in my 2500.

How's your granny-low in your tranny? Depending on how much low-end you're willing to give up, and how much highway driving you do, you might(or not) want to consider a gear change. Those high-ratio gears which give you all the power in the low end are gonna kill you for highway MPG. When I did my gear change I doubled my city mileage, and tacked 3MPG onto my highway MPG. I'm sure the lower revs are better for the engine, too.

Narrower tires save gas,too.

Last edited by therewolf; October 29th, 2009 at 3:53 PM.
Old October 29th, 2009, 6:21 PM
CF Active Member

i thought wider tires save more gas? in some weird scientific way, with a wider tire your covering more ground thus saving gas. or was that just a theory?
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rivereye
Hi davew18,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

R-R-R!! Ya gotta love a brawny work truck!

Synthetics aren't going to produce a lot of extra MPG, but they're good, long lasting protection that's generally more cost effective than standard lubricants. You may see 1/2 to 1 MPG using all synthetics,though. Its nice when you don't have to crawl under her every 3K for an oil change, which is why I switched.

That "5-6 MPG all synthetic lube mileage improvement" must be for the smallest cars on the planet,though, because I haven't seen near that in my 2500.

How's your granny-low in your tranny? Depending on how much low-end you're willing to give up, and how much highway driving you do, you might(or not) want to consider a gear change. Those high-ratio gears which give you all the power in the low end are gonna kill you for highway MPG. When I did my gear change I doubled my city mileage, and tacked 3MPG onto my highway MPG. I'm sure the lower revs are better for the engine, too.

Narrower tires save gas,too.

ya i don`t really see switching to synthetics in my diferentials as giving me an extra 5 - 6 mpg i was basically hoping for 1 maybe 2.

your very right with the gearing, the problem is i wanna keep the truck "close" to the purpose it was built for (23 years ago) which was towing.

like i said, i know i`m not going to get leaps and bounds better but if i can save a few mpg i`ll be happy.

exhaust manifold bad gasket that would contribute to loss of mpg i would think?
Old October 30th, 2009, 4:32 AM
CF Beginner

Speedy,wider tires create more drag,taller skinny tires are better f/mpg
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

I think you'll be happy with synthetics because of the extra work they save you. The increase of mileage will just be icing on the cake.

You wouldn't want to change your gearing unless you do a lot of highway miles.

As to tires, first of all, larger tires have their place, and they're a great improvement, especially off road. But you get this improvement at the cost of increased drag, increased load on the braking system, increased load on the drivetrain, and subsequently worse MPG.

I was thrilled when I went to my larger truck with it's bigger wheels. It handles the road better, it's smoother, and they handle obstacles better. But since I don't face many off-road pulling or towing challenges, I opted to keep the factory size tires for optimal MPG.

A bad exhaust leak could lead to backfiring, which will eventually tear up your cam and valvetrain; look into headers, they'll sponge heat off that 454 the way cast manifolds never could.

Last edited by therewolf; October 30th, 2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old October 30th, 2009, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

fuel filter, and fuel pump, i want to replace these and find out where i can purchase two new fuel tanks aswell...

who knows how long they have been in there if they have ever been changed.

i would think that if these are bad this would help also?

btw does anyone know a good place to pick up a couple of gas tanks for my truck?-Dave
Old October 31st, 2009, 4:24 PM
Super Moderator

Northern tools sells tanks which sit in the bed.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rivereye
Northern tools sells tanks which sit in the bed.
thought about that but i would rather not take up bed space i would rather find replacement for where the two are now.
Old November 4th, 2009, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

do those K&N filters work as well as advertised?

Quick Reply: gas/power/efficiency