Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

General ac help...

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2010, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General ac help...

My wife's Equinox a.c. has been acting up. When she drives the car over 30 mph the ac blows cold air however, if she sits in traffic idling it does not necessarily blow hot air but luke warm air or slightly chilled. I picked up a can of Freon with the gauge to hopefully just recharge the system. When I hooked it up the low side line the gauge almost pegged out and was way over pressurized. At first I was thinking the gauge was defective…I tired it on my truck witch turned out to be fine. The ac clutch does engage so the compressor is not froze up. So I'm thinking there is a glog some where. I'm going to try to pull the hoses and change the expander valve then re charge hoping this will rid my high pressure problem. I was wonder if anyone else has had this problem and maybe a remedy of fix?
Old June 2nd, 2010, 7:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you had it hooked up did you have the car running with the a/c on max? when checking with a gauge the a/c has to be on max and the car running. if you did check it right I am not sure why there would be that much pressure. did the other owner not know what they where doing when they where filling it. if the system is over filled then it would work better with higher rpms. the higher rpms will lower the pressure. really high pressure will kill the a/c comp.