Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

glowing headers

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2007, 2:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glowing headers

I have an '84 Sierra with a 400 small block in it. Its from a '72 so its low compression, but I am having problems with glowing headers. I just very recently took the intake off to fix a leaking rear gasket so I put the distributor back in but I put it in exactly where it was before. I had it marked but who knows. Anyways, I have this problem so I need some help. It seems to run good especially with hightest but I usually only need regular 87 since it runs fine. I am just mentioning some details about gas and what I have done so you know incase it matters. Also has cats for some reason (whoever built the truck put them on...kinda pointless) but I cannot imagine both of them going bad and being plugged up at the same time. One more thing is that this truck is set up for EGR but there isnt one! The guy put a plate over it on the intake so there is that issue too. The valve covers do not have a PCV either, just a breather on each cover.

I need to fix it asap in the parking lot of my apartment before Saturday (March 10) if I can! I am headed home on break and a wedding; so any quick suggestions before I have to take it to a garage! I do not have a timin light on me so thats why I am here to ask for some backyard advise. Thanks a lot for the help. (I also posted this in the K5 Forum so you can check that out if anyone responded to that thread)
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: glowing headers

Either you are running way too lean or else your exhaust system is plugged up....
Old March 10th, 2007, 2:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: glowing headers

Thanks. I do have cats but both being plugged seems weird, but I am taking it to get the timing checked in the morning so I hope that helps. Otherwise, the Q Jet does not adjust a/f mix (from my research) because its a pollution carb??? When I put the distributor back I never checked the timing since I put it back exactly as I got it out but it ran good so...I'll just have it checked out. Thanks.