Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

graid assist engine brake

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2020, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default graid assist engine brake

my 2017 silverado has a grade assist brake, It would kick in going down hills. I know how to disable it, but didn't this time. Going down it kicked in and did it's job slowing me down. At the bottom of the hill never kicked off and still hasn't. Any help would be appreciated.
Old October 13th, 2020, 8:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Gazarw
my 2017 silverado has a grade assist brake, It would kick in going down hills. I know how to disable it, but didn't this time. Going down it kicked in and did it's job slowing me down. At the bottom of the hill never kicked off and still hasn't. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't either. We have exhaust brakes on our semi's, but unless it's a Jake-Brake, they are weak. Cant use them in many towns due to the noise. Probably built differently on a pickup truck too. Might run a scan tool on it or disconnect the battery. Might be a switch on your brake pedal gone bad as well.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; October 13th, 2020 at 8:29 AM.
Old October 13th, 2020, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

The grade brake assist is actually controlled by the ABS module using the hydraulic circuits - it’s not an engine brake. If it’s not turning off by pressing the switch, it could be due to a shorted or damaged circuit, module malfunction, or input from another module.

The best chance for diagnosis is to have a shop pull codes from the entire system. Because the system utilizes ABS circuitry for control, any inputs that affect ABS could be the reason it’s stuck on. Brake and accelerator pedals, cruise control buttons, steering position sensor, PCM/TCM controls and sensors, and so on can all affect ABS operation.

Any shop can pull codes from all the modules that could be affecting the system. You can always tell them you only want codes read or to call you first before making any repairs.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (October 14th, 2020)