Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Integrated brake controller

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2020, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integrated brake controller

I just purchased a 2017 Silverado LTZ. Can I add an integrated brake controller on it?
Old May 10th, 2020, 8:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

You can but it’s going to require programming - not just for the brake controller, but also for the BCM, instrument cluster and ABS (possibly the PCM too - I don’t know all the modules it communicates with).

Why do you specifically want an integrated module? It doesn’t offer any advantages over an aftermarket controller - they’re actually a lot more sensitive to the trailer plug connection - at work we’ve had to replace the plugs (truck and trailer) on several trucks because the plugs were causing problems. They seemed tight (some looked new) but on a test drive the brake controller kept alerting to trailer disconnect. Thorough inspection of the truck and trailer wiring didn’t reveal any problems, and replacing the plug was the only fix.
The following users liked this post:
Cokebarrels (May 10th, 2020)
Old May 10th, 2020, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default Aftermarket brake controller

Thanks for the information. I will look into an aftermarket brake controller. I put an aftermarket brake controller on my previous vehicle.
Old May 10th, 2020, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

factory controller offers integrated sway control. aftermarket units can't do this. It is an incredible feature that I have seen stop accidents. using the stability control yaw sensor the truck will apply the front left and front right brakes alternately to counter act trailer sway. the intervention is so quick its beyond any manual input you could try.
another nice feature of the factory unit is its tucked into the dash out of the way of your knees but within reach of your hand.
go oem you won't regret it.
Old May 10th, 2020, 1:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
factory controller offers integrated sway control. aftermarket units can't do this. It is an incredible feature that I have seen stop accidents. using the stability control yaw sensor the truck will apply the front left and front right brakes alternately to counter act trailer sway. the intervention is so quick its beyond any manual input you could try.
another nice feature of the factory unit is its tucked into the dash out of the way of your knees but within reach of your hand.
go oem you won't regret it.
I didn’t know that was a feature - thanks for the info - but I’d also say that knowing how to properly tow a trailer is more important than anything a controller can offer.

I was a heavy truck driver for 8 years. Attentiveness and patience combined with steady acceleration and braking, plenty of following distance and using a visual technique called “scanning” helped me avoid dozens of potential accidents during that time in all types of traffic and weather situations.

Scanning is basically a rhythmic processing of the road and vehicle while driving - instead of just looking at the road straight ahead, you continually scan your eyes side to side to look for cars/people that might pull out in front of you, check rear view mirrors to look for a blown tire or emergency vehicles, and vehicle gauges to check speed, engine temp and air pressure - you repeat a scan about every 2 minutes. It helps to maintain your focus on driving and not allow boredom to distract you.
Old June 21st, 2020, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gumby22
I didn’t know that was a feature - thanks for the info - but I’d also say that knowing how to properly tow a trailer is more important than anything a controller can offer.

I was a heavy truck driver for 8 years. Attentiveness and patience combined with steady acceleration and braking, plenty of following distance and using a visual technique called “scanning” helped me avoid dozens of potential accidents during that time in all types of traffic and weather situations.

Scanning is basically a rhythmic processing of the road and vehicle while driving - instead of just looking at the road straight ahead, you continually scan your eyes side to side to look for cars/people that might pull out in front of you, check rear view mirrors to look for a blown tire or emergency vehicles, and vehicle gauges to check speed, engine temp and air pressure - you repeat a scan about every 2 minutes. It helps to maintain your focus on driving and not allow boredom to distract you.
I have acquired what you call scanning from many years of riding street bikes in Manhattan and surrounding boroughs. I commuted from Staten Island that way from 1979- 1999 even through most of the winter, as long as there was no snow. It becomes like a sixth sense. You can predict when someone is going to come over into your lane. Then you see that front tire start to turn toward you. It's crazy, but like I said it's like a sixth sense.

Last edited by poconojoe; June 21st, 2020 at 5:58 PM.