Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Gut The Cat... Does it not good or harm

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gut The Cat... Does it not good or harm

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> Gutting the Cat out does this give you more horse power and better gas mileage 4.3L 2005 Silverado check out this link on S-10 forum to gut the cat with no check engine light or codes. Is there any reason not to do this ???
gutted cat and check engine - S-10 Forum

97 2.2 Catalytic Converter O2 BYPASS - S-10 Forum
Old January 2nd, 2012, 4:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the 2005 that's not a junker? Isn't it kind of like getting the appendix taken out before you're actually sick? I believe it's illegal, besides. And, the phrase "more horse power and better gas mileage" is an oxymoron. In order to generate more hose power, you have to burn more fuel.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 7:19 PM
Super Moderator

There's no reason to do it unless they're clogged up or not workin right. I gutted mine cause they were clogged and it feels much more responsive
Old January 3rd, 2012, 4:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
On the 2005 that's not a junker? Isn't it kind of like getting the appendix taken out before you're actually sick? I believe it's illegal, besides. And, the phrase "more horse power and better gas mileage" is an oxymoron. In order to generate more hose power, you have to burn more fuel.

Sorry I did not mean to list my 2005,besides my 2005 Silverado I also have a 1997 5.7 3500 we call the farm truck. I only drive it about 1500 miles or less on road per year. I think the cat is plugging up but can't be 100% sure. I would like to just gut the cat but I don't want any check engine lights or other damage to the engine

Last edited by mebedave; January 3rd, 2012 at 4:56 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 5:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by country_09
There's no reason to do it unless they're clogged up or not workin right. I gutted mine cause they were clogged and it feels much more responsive

Country what year and model did you gut,did you get a check engine light or any other problems?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 7:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mines an 01...and it was on for a day, then shut off and hasn't come back. I'm still gonna get them tuned out to make me feel better