Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

HAM radio hook up to battery

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2010, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAM radio hook up to battery

I'm trying to install a HAM radio to the battery by running thru the firewall. Any suggestions. I thought about going thru the wire bundle in front of the e brake, but I really didn't want to mess with it. Wanted to see if anyone knew better.

Thanks,
Carl
Old August 25th, 2010, 8:25 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Most wire bundles are already jam packed, you might find some wiggle room and you might not...It might be faster to find a convenient spot and drill your own hole, put in a grommet dab a bit of silicone on it and be done....

choke up on the drill bit in the chuck to keep the drill bit as short as possible so as not to accidental poke something on the other side...
Old August 25th, 2010, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B E utiful!!! Good KISS concept. I guess that's why you're the veteran and I'm the newbee.

Thanks,
Carl
Old August 26th, 2010, 9:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi jr2000silverD,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

One way to keep the drill bit from going too far is to take some electrical tape, wrap it around the drill bit about 3/8 of an inch up from the point. Do about 10 wraps. When the bit pops thru the metal, the tape will slow the bit down so you don't jam it into something on the opposite side of the firewall.

Most large parts stores have auxiliary fuse panels with 4 to 6 new fuse locations which you can mount inside your engine compartment, to give you a separate source of power.