Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Hard 1-2 shift

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard 1-2 shift

Ok second question on my new to me truck. 02 silverado Z71 5.3L 4x4. This truck seems to have good power but I have never driven any other silverado to really compare her to. As I can tell there are no power upgrades under the hood. There is a cat back exhaust that exits just befor the rear wheel duall pipes. I have not looked but I am guessing it is a gibson or something very similar. sounds like a single chamber, very load and raspy on WOT. I gave this info so you have an understanding of the trans concearn I am having. The 1st to second shift point is fixed at 17 mph in D and 3 on the PRNDL. she will not shift into second at all before this unless I shift to 2 manually. It is very firm and snappy. I have gotten used to driving it this way and can ease the firmness by letting off slightly while accelling. The other shift concearn is the 2-3. While entering the highway at light throttle EI not speeding to merge just sunday driving the 1-2 feels good but the 2-3 feels slightly slow and if I hold the throttle at the same point as I am accelling i can hear the engine rev slightly through the shift point. No check engine light, fluid is full hot and on a level surface engine running. from everyting I can tell the previous owner did take care of the truck. Due to the exhaust and the rest of the accessories on the truck I am questioning if he may have put in a computer mod to change the shift points and firmness. I feel the need to put in a higher level octain to prevent some slight knock concearns I had and this did fix the problem. What do you think? should I be concearned about the 2-3 slip or is this normal for the silverado. Any thoughts would be entertained thank you for reading I appologize for the long post but I get annoyed when people ask for help but give no info to work with lol
Old September 20th, 2010, 1:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 5.3 and 4l60e have been great but some people have had problems with the tranny. my dad has a 97 van with the 4l80e and had a shift problem with it slipping out of 4th gear. it ended up being his shift solenoids in the tranny. parts werent the most expensive and easy to change. >100$ <150$