Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Hard cranking when hot

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2010, 4:56 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Hard cranking when hot

Hi, I have my 98 c2500, 5.7 vortec ext cab... starts perfect when cold, or on first start of day. after any driving, when shout down it will crank but very slow, like something is holding it back. Voltgage reads fine while driving, and when cranking cold. when warm and turning key over, when engaged the volts drop to red area. So back in the day chevy had an issue with starters getting hot, so shall it be the starter or the battery? yes there is a heat sheld on the starter...... thanks for ur help.....
Old September 5th, 2010, 5:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usmarine0905
Hi, I have my 98 c2500, 5.7 vortec ext cab... starts perfect when cold, or on first start of day. after any driving, when shout down it will crank but very slow, like something is holding it back. Voltgage reads fine while driving, and when cranking cold. when warm and turning key over, when engaged the volts drop to red area. So back in the day chevy had an issue with starters getting hot, so shall it be the starter or the battery? yes there is a heat sheld on the starter...... thanks for ur help.....
try replacing the starter go buy one and try it out. you can always take it back if that wasnt the issue. hope maybe that could be it.
Old September 16th, 2010, 8:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow usmarine I have this EXACT problem. my old starter was going bad and not even attempting to start. I bought a rebuilt starter and this problem occurred. I returned the rebuilt starter, bought a brand new one and that was the end of it.