Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Hard starting 1996 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2008, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starting 1996 Silverado

I have a 1996, always maintained very well Chevy Silverado, it has the 5.0 liter engine. The issue is I have been having problems with it hard starting. The temperaturte outside has nothing to do with it. As long as I start it every day its O.K. but it just takes to many cranks for it to turn over. Could it be the fuel pump or possibly a filter being clogged? I spray in a little bit of starter fluid and it starts up. Let the truck sit for a few days and its very hard to start.
Old November 21st, 2008, 4:02 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Hard starting 1996 Silverado

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see what its doing. Sounds like it could be the pump
Old August 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

does yours have a throttle body,if so my 5.7 liter does the same it is very easy to start first try the any time after that it cranks and cranks before it hits...i put a fuel pressure regulator on it and i can turn on the switch and it builds up pressure then when the pump kicks off it looses it . i have herd from a few people it is the spyder injectors. under the throttle body...
Old August 13th, 2012, 10:57 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by osborneak13
does yours have a throttle body,if so my 5.7 liter does the same it is very easy to start first try the any time after that it cranks and cranks before it hits...i put a fuel pressure regulator on it and i can turn on the switch and it builds up pressure then when the pump kicks off it looses it . i have herd from a few people it is the spyder injectors. under the throttle body...
thats the problem with mine also... When I turn the key on and let it sit for a minute then start it, it usually will start pretty quick
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

The check valve in your fuel pump assembly is bad. It is letting the fuel bleed back into the tank. I added an inline check valve in my fuel line and solved the problem.
Old July 19th, 2022, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default I'm having sim issues.i saw video on this and thought that sounded real close

Originally Posted by oldchevy
The check valve in your fuel pump assembly is bad. It is letting the fuel bleed back into the tank. I added an inline check valve in my fuel line and solved the problem.
hey chiming in here..I feel my truck is doing this also. How do we add an inline check valve? Where do we get it