Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1996 Tahoe 4X4 5.7L starting issue

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2016, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Tahoe 4X4 5.7L starting issue

My name is Gabe.
I recently acquired this Tahoe and after fixing the oil cooler line, I am having trouble starting when it's cold. It cranks good but unless I shoot a little starting fluid into the intake it won't start on its own. After it starts and runs the first time it'll start ok until it sit for awhile and then it won't start again unless I squirt some starting fluid again.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

GP
Old January 9th, 2016, 5:28 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

I would check the fuel pressure.
Old January 9th, 2016, 5:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Gabe, when you turn the key on but don't engage the starter, do you hear the fuel pump run. Cycle this 3-4 times and then try starting - agree with 73shark above.
Old January 10th, 2016, 3:12 AM
CF Active Member

Have to agree with OP, don't have the radio, blower fan or anything that comes on with the key in ON position. Close all windows, turn the key ON ONLY, listen for the fuel pump, if working correctly, it will run for just a few seconds, that's when it pressurieses the fuel rail, which makes it start. It could be time for a NEW OEM AC DELCO FUEL PUMP. I will not suggest aftermarket. Good luck.
David g.
Old January 10th, 2016, 6:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 345 Likes on 326 Posts

This is a common problem. the check valve in the fuel pump goes bad usually before the fuel pump stops working. I had this problem several years ago and added a check valve in the fuel line and it solved the problem. You can replace the fuel pump assembly but the check valve is easier and cheaper. I agree do not waste your time with aftermarket fuel pumps. Stick with Delco or Delphi.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 3:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fuel pump replaced

Thank you all for the help. It was the fuel pump. Starts right up everytime now.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 9:30 AM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Thanks for reporting back the solution to your problem. It may help others in the future.