Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Headers and Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2012, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the LT Pacesetters on last night. Got to finish up everything today. Had to remove crossmember and steering shaft bolt and nut for the installation. Problem with dipstick tube bracket, will have to modify for reinstall. May be a problem with some of the plugs touching the headers. They look really nice but it was more of a challenge than I thought it would be.

Just got to decide on the header back pipes/muffler now. Has anybody else with the long tube headers have suggestions. Please describe what you did to yours and/or suggest what you would change.

TIA..... MorrisGray

Last edited by MorrisGray; April 30th, 2012 at 7:13 AM.
Old April 30th, 2012, 9:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you buy just the headers or headers and the y-pipe?
Old May 1st, 2012, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Headers only. Found a local guy that fabricates evrything else and I think he is cheap but I don't know much... Got headers on Sunday, with some trouble spots. Had to drop crossmember just so I could remove the factory y with the cats. Had to remove steering shaft nut and bolt, Had to loosen and move some hoses and cables, Pass side went easy but driver side was still a squeeze. Unplugged and taped off rear sensors just to keep dirt out if ever needed again. Reused factory gaskets. Had to use a spacer for the dip stick tube reinstall. It would not fit otherwise unless I modified the bolt brace and find another bolt which I did anyway because with the spacer I needed a longer bolt. No leaks that I can tell but it sounded really loud and crappy with the open headers.

Took it to the local exhaust guy today. I told him to do whatever works out best but he plans to weld flange to the headers for connection. Run dual pipes to one muffler with dual inlet/outlet. Exit the pass side in front of rear tire with two chrome exhaust tips for $260..... wow?

Comments welcome, good or bad... the ORY would have been about $140 by itself.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a real good deal IMO. From headers back dual pipes with te muffler and tips?
Old May 5th, 2012, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Talking my new exhaust...

Got it back and I am very pleased with the results. It looks very simple yet elegant to me. He did weld flanges to the headers, ran dual pipes to the single muffler, and dual exit pipes with the long chrome tips slightly protruding in front of the passenger rear tire. And although it is not quite as loud as I thought I wanted, I believe I will be a lot happier with this sweet sounding mellow tone for a long time. Bottom end torque is back and with the headers and new exhaust it just feels fun to drive. My SEL finally appeared. It didn't come on initially but I guess I had to drive far enough to make the sensor trigger.

$347.00/headers delivered from Amazon
$260.00/side exhaust fabricated and installed complete with tips
= total satisfaction for now
Old May 6th, 2012, 9:22 PM
CF Junior Member

can you post a video? id like to hear what it sounds like. ive been looking at putting headers on my truck also i just dont want the backfiring or my truck to sound like a monster truck every time i start it.
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up new exhaust...

I will try to get some pictures but I am not sure I can or know how to post a video. I assure you there is no bad sound, popping, cackling, or backfiring coming out of the exhaust. It just isn't that loud either. But driving it sounds sweet while driving but I don,t know what other people hear yet. I need to get my wife or somebody to drive it so I can listen outside as a bystander but then again if I am happy with what I hear while driving maybe that is all that is important? It definitely has low end torque back and is real touchy with the pedal. Which is good!
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:32 AM
CF Junior Member

if you cant post a video just shoot me an email with a video, id really like to hear it, because i cant find anything on youtube and im not willing to dump that much money into an exhaust and not know how its gonna come out. what kind of headers did you go with?
Old May 8th, 2012, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default headers...

PaceSetter Long Tube Ceramic Coated 72c2265

Amazon.com: Pace Setter 72C2265 Performance Armor Coat Long Tube Exhaust Header: Automotive
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:30 AM
CF Junior Member

thanks for letting me know. if you do happen to make a video let me know id really like to hear how they sound.