Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Headlight Gremlin....!??!

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2008, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Gremlin....!??!

So the other day while driving home from a buddys place I went to flick on my highbeams and lost all my headlights. No daytime running lights, no highbeams, and no lowbeams. The switch can be on and it still makes no difference. I do however, still have turn signals, park lights, taillights, brakelights and dashlights. The bulbs are not blown, and the fuses are good. I checked them all. Funny thing is, some days, the lights will come on and work fine until I turn the truck off and then it's hit and miss as to weather they will come on when I start the truck again. Has anyone heard of this problem? I'm thinking it may be a computer problem of some sort. I've heard that the computer sends a signal to turn the lights on, and if for some reason the computer doesn't send that signal on startup, the manual switch won't do a thing. Any ideas?
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Headlight Gremlin....!??!

Sounds like you have a bad switch or ground. I would replace the switch and see what happens.
Old January 27th, 2008, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my 2000 Silverado. I start the truck and have now headlights and most time I hit the signal liht switch and they come on. The other day it got worse I couldn't get them to come on no mater what I did. So I took a wrench andtapped the end of the switch and they came on.A couple of days later I lost my windshield washer function and then it came back. I am positive it is in theturn/windshield/Highbeam switch.I am too cheap to go and buy one, OEM is 400 Dollarsin Canada. I seensome on EBAY for 100 dollars butI am not surewho the manufacture is. I hope this will help you.
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The part is called a multi-function switch. It's the turn signal and it has all the switches for various functions inside. You might also try removing the trim cover from the top of the steering column and inspect the wiring and connectionsfrom the switch. Sometimes the wires can get frayed or a connector will have a bad connection. Have you tried your local salvage yards?
Old January 28th, 2008, 7:50 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm with Ron....check the wiring when its not working. Instead of just replacing parts in hopes that it will fix the problem, and throwing a bunch of money away, test the circiuts to make sure that switch it accually bad before replacing it. I'd give you some direction but without knowing the year of your truck it would be hard to say what your looking for