Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Help!!Buying a 1985 chevy and its been sitting for the past 2yrs, what do i do??

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2009, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!Buying a 1985 chevy and its been sitting for the past 2yrs, what do i do??

Im buying a 1985 chevy/gmc c10 with a pretty new 350 engine but when they updated the engine and everything else under the hood they parked it inside a large shop and it hasnt been started in about 2yrs and i was just wondering if i will need to change any fluids before i start it or could i wait and drive it 2hours to my home and then do it??? And what fluids if any should i change??? And would i have to change any belts or hoses or anything cause they all look good but im not a machanic so i dont know but i do know a tiny bit and dont forget its been inside a three garage shop for the past 2yrs...
Old March 3rd, 2009, 3:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Change the oil and filter, dispose of the gas, change the fuel filter. Take out the spark plugs and check them for damage or carbon buildup and clean or replace them.
Then you need to check the rest of the fluid levels. You probably need to change the coolant and the trans fluid after you get it cranked and where you need it to go.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 8:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. new battery
2. disable spark distribution, remove plugs, and crank engine to move oil everywhere.
3. before changing oil, I'd get her running, then pour can of Seafoam into crankcase, let her run for about an hour, with slight revvs occasionally. THEN, drain oil, pour about 3 qrts of cheapest oil you can find at Wallymart, run her again for about 15 minutes. THEN you change oil and filter. will pick all the crap and you just flushed the engine.
4. buy yourself a can of electrician lubricant at part store. locate, disconnect, clean with electrical cleaner, and lube with that lubricant, EVERY CONNECTOR YOU CAN FIND. it's all most likely oxidized and you'll save yourself a lot of grief down the road.