K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

Neighbor has a 1972 k5 blazer thats been sitting for about 8 years?

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2010, 6:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neighbor has a 1972 k5 blazer thats been sitting for about 8 years?

My neighbor has a 72 k5 blazer with a 350 in it. He moved in about 8 years ago and its been sitting there ever since. They brought it over with a tow truck. Soon after it was parked, the guy was underneath doing something and he had the hood open. The next thing you know he was in the driver seat and he started it. It ran really good and sounded awesome. After about 5 minutes of running it, he shut it off and hasnt started it since. I asked him about it the other day and he said it has a few problems and that it is his sons blazer. He said that his son was driving drunk one night and cant remember if the transmission went out or if its the linkage that mightve loosened up or became disconnected. He also said that some of the seals are bad and it has leaks. This is probably because it was sitting for so long. You can see where the coolant has leaked onto the ground. He said that the battery is dead and he tried charging it but it didnt charge.

I think that its been sitting for so long that he doesnt remember whats wrong with it. He seems like he has no interest in it. But he told me that he wishes one day to get some money around and get it going again.

Could I use the battery out of my truck (a 93 silverado with a 350) and try to start it or atleast see if itll turn over? I figure I cant hurt nothing anyway because the whole engine will probably need to be pulled and rebuilt since its been sitting for a while.

Last edited by tom5170; September 20th, 2010 at 7:02 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the engine may be good, "if it aint broke dont fix it" as forthe battery, yours is most likely a side post battery, and the 72 will most likely be a top post, just take a look