Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

help with engine light on 2006 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2011, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with engine light on 2006 5.3L

HELP!! 2006 1500 5.3 Check engine light/truck won't start<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "ca-pub-4625790857505981";/* Right of First Post - Square near top */google_ad_slot = "7844143399";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;//--> </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </SCRIPT><INS style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; POSITION: relative; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 300px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline-table; HEIGHT: 250px; VISIBILITY: visible; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><INS style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; POSITION: relative; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 300px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; DISPLAY: block; HEIGHT: 250px; VISIBILITY: visible; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0px" id=aswift_1_anchor><IFRAME style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; LEFT: 0px" id=aswift_1 onload="var i=this.id,s=window.google_iframe_oncopy,H=s&&s.han dlers,h=H&&H[i],w=this.contentWindow,d;try{d=w.document}catch(e){ }if(h&&d&&(!d.body||!d.body.firstChild)){if(h.call ){i+='.call';setTimeout(h,0)}else if(h.match){i+='.nav';w.location.replace(h)}s.log& &s.log.push(i)}" height=250 marginHeight=0 frameBorder=0 width=300 allowTransparency name=aswift_1 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME></INS></INS>
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->My check engine light has been coming on (mainly right after fueling) I've cleared it a couple times by disconnecting the battery.
The truck has driven smoothly during the light being on or going off.
Last week, my wife was driving down the road with approximately an 1/8 of gas reading on the gauge, and the truck died while driving. (engine light was on, fuel light not on)

I had the truck towed home, and I scratched my head for a couple days before going out and making sure the fuel pump was kicking on. (it was)

I decided to pour some gas in the tank, and after a few cranks, it came to and started. It sounded great. No misses in the motor or anything. I determined the gas gauge was off. I left it alone. (the truck has not been driven since the tow truck dropped it off)

I went out yesterday to see if it would start, and it would not. It sounded like the engine was belching and trying, but never turned over.

Can anyone help me figure out what might be the issue? I have not had any codes pulled on it. (especially now, since I can't drive it somewhere to have it done)

Thank you in advance for your replies. I really need some help here!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Old August 30th, 2011, 12:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd STRONGLY suggest not letting it get below 1/4 tank as the gasoline also cools the fuel pump. You going to have to get it scanned. I realize it won't start. It could be crappy gas causing this issue. Being an 06 it is hard to believe contamination in the gas tank, but sounds like that or just bad gas. You might add 5 gals of gas, let it set (settle any contaminents to the bottom of the tank) then give it a shot.
Old August 30th, 2011, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I'd STRONGLY suggest not letting it get below 1/4 tank as the gasoline also cools the fuel pump. You going to have to get it scanned. I realize it won't start. It could be crappy gas causing this issue. Being an 06 it is hard to believe contamination in the gas tank, but sounds like that or just bad gas. You might add 5 gals of gas, let it set (settle any contaminents to the bottom of the tank) then give it a shot.
Should I put a fuel pressure gauge tester on it to see what kind of pressure it's getting when I turn the key on and the fuel pump kicks on? I read that I'm supposed to be getting around 57-60 psi?
Old August 30th, 2011, 1:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by travis5292
Should I put a fuel pressure gauge tester on it to see what kind of pressure it's getting when I turn the key on and the fuel pump kicks on? I read that I'm supposed to be getting around 57-60 psi?
It would be one less thing to check. I replied to your pm.
Old September 1st, 2011, 6:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Check engine light will tell the story. Would not hurt to check fuel pressure.. does not have to be running to do so . You do need at least that on psi. Just turn key on pressure should stay at 57 to 60 not drop any. Did you check fuel filter?
Old September 2nd, 2011, 6:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by loosebearing
Check engine light will tell the story. Would not hurt to check fuel pressure.. does not have to be running to do so . You do need at least that on psi. Just turn key on pressure should stay at 57 to 60 not drop any. Did you check fuel filter?
Thanks for the reply.....I had every intention of checking the fuel filter, but can't find much information about it for an 06 truck. I figured it would be along the frame rail, drivers side, but there's nothing along there that looks like a fuel filter. There's a black box component along there, that has about 4 or 5 inlet/outlet lines connected to it. Is that it?