Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

HELP! Neg battery cable location? (91 Silverado)

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2010, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Neg battery cable location? (91 Silverado)

I have a 91 silverado, engine died and will not crank, lights/horn etc. still work!

So I started feeling around and discovered that my negative battery cable was just hanging on the left side of the engine, towards the ground (no pun intended). I crawled under the truck and tried to find where if came disconnected from, but I can't seam to find it. I know it needs to be connected to the block because I have to use my jumper cables and jump from the engine to the negative battery post to get the truck to start, but I don't want to connect the negative cable just anywhere on the block, I want to connect it back to its original location, obviously a nut loosened up and fell off, and there could also be a grounding strap off at that location, which is why I need to find it.

Does ANYBODY know where the negative battery cable attached to the block on the 91 silverado?

Your help will be greatly appreciated as I have to be at work in the morning and I can't seam to find it through 45 minutes of google searching!

Thanks,
John
Old December 14th, 2010, 7:48 PM
CF Junior Member

I know this is the wrong body style but the motors are nearly identical, the ground on my 87 GMC Sierra goes to the front of the alternator bracket. Not sure where it was 23 years ago though... Maybe this will at least get you in the right area.
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I drove over to a friends house and looked at his, unfortunately his is different as well. For a temporary fix, I chose a random place on the block and connected it there. The starter turns over twice as fast as it has for the past few years, I guess that not must have been lose for some time. I will leave it where I put it, temporarily, until I find out where it was originally.
Old December 15th, 2010, 1:10 PM
CF Junior Member

On my 99 5.7L Tahoe, the neg battery cable goes to a spot on the front of the block in behind the lower outlet of the waterpump.
Then at the back of the block on the intake there is a braided strap.
The length of your cable will kinda limit you to the choices.