Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Help.. STARTER PROBLEM 1996 silverado 350 converted to a 400 sbc

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help.. STARTER PROBLEM 1996 silverado 350 converted to a 400 sbc

Ok, I have a 1996 GMC Sierra 1500. The original 350 vortec engine was replaced with a 400 SBC. The fuel injection was fitted back on the the 400 SBC. The transmission is an automatic (4L60E). The engine runs GREAT when I can get it started. I don't drive/start the truck often so some times it will take a few tries to start the engine. The problem is, when I try to start the engine, the starter gear will get hung up in the flywheel, it wont retract. If i go under the truck and rotate the engine slightly by hand, the starter gear will retract. I have replaced the starter several times, for the first 30 starts, I have no problems what so ever. I have shimmed, checked clearances and so on. There are no shavings, broken teeth or damage to the flywheel. Im using the mini hi torque starter with the off set bolt pattern. What can I do? What am I missing? PLEASE HELP!!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it sounds like it's still not shimmed right.
Old July 25th, 2012, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default I am having the same problem!

I just changed out my distributer and distributor rotor and ign. module and finally got all that done and now my starter is hanging up. ive tried shimming with 1, 2, & even 3 shims. the starter just sounds like a power drill, its not clicking or anything, ive checked all teeth on starter and flywheel. all good, im lost!!!!
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

If it starts good for the first 30 or so times and then gives you problems it would appear that something is wrong with the flywheel. The flywheel teeth must be doing something to the teeth on the bendix gear. This has happened several times so it is more than a coincidence.
Old July 25th, 2012, 2:13 PM
CF Veteran

Default hard start

hey tone i assume they changed the flex plate when they installed the 400 ?if it is stock stroke it need's to be externally ballanced unit .if it has been a stroked 350 lord know's prob internally ballanced .but thr general rule oh thumb is to check the engauged clearance between the flex plate and starter bendex teeth with a straightend out paper clip see if you can insert it in between the two at the deep part of the teeth engaugement .
some times the correct year range starter can make a difference .i used to used mid to late 70's for speed starter's with a cast iron nose peice on my 406 but it had a lot of compression to buck against . it probably need's a shim or two with that starter ,using the oem starter you usally dont have a problem with small block's.