Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

400 sbc running very hot-PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 sbc running very hot-PLEASE HELP

I just rebuilt a 400 small block chevy engine with new edlebrock heads, primed the oil pump before starting (65 PSI) filled it with water.
Start the engine and the water temp. goes to 210 degrees, I believe it has air in the system. I pulled the plugs and aired up the cylinders , no bubbles in the radiator and the compression is 150 across the board.
How can I get the air out of the cooling system? I don't know what else to do and I'm starting to get real pi$$ed off.
PLEASE give me some ideas because I'm lost.
Thanks for your time <!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Old May 25th, 2009, 9:49 PM
CF Veteran

Default hot !

can you tell me if the edelbrock head's had the steam holes between the chambers to match the block these let the steam equalize and escape ?some times they will run a little warm until broken in ,put a 160 degree thermostat in it for now if you are letting it set while you tune it get the timing right if you have to put a electric fan in front of the radiator while it Set's and runs .i know mine ran warm the small chamber 350 heads had to be drilled for the steam holes it was especially necessary with 12 to one pistons and hot cam .
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by old dog
can you tell me if the edelbrock head's had the steam holes between the chambers to match the block these let the steam equalize and escape ?some times they will run a little warm until broken in ,put a 160 degree thermostat in it for now if you are letting it set while you tune it get the timing right if you have to put a electric fan in front of the radiator while it Set's and runs .i know mine ran warm the small chamber 350 heads had to be drilled for the steam holes it was especially necessary with 12 to one pistons and hot cam .

Yes, the steam holes are drilled.
Old May 26th, 2009, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Please can I get a few more ideas on this?

Thanks guys and ladies
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Default hot !

how much compression are you running ,and how big a cam ? and are you running a 4 row aluminum radiator ?they will pump out more btu's of heat than brass .may be back off the timing a little bit .hi flow water pump's are available also i had one on mine and it helped .flex fan or electric fan ?try a pressure tester while it is running to see if it builds up
Old May 26th, 2009, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sunnyd
, I believe it has air in the system. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->
You should purge the air out of the system. Do a google search for this as every car is different.
Old May 26th, 2009, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by old dog
how much compression are you running ,and how big a cam ? and are you running a 4 row aluminum radiator ?they will pump out more btu's of heat than brass .may be back off the timing a little bit .hi flow water pump's are available also i had one on mine and it helped .flex fan or electric fan ?try a pressure tester while it is running to see if it builds up
The engine has 150 psi across the board, the cam is not much bigger then stock.I have a 4 row aluminum radiator, a 15 inch flex fan and a brand new water pump and 180 thermostat with a hole drilled in it.
Timing is at 10 degrees.
Old June 8th, 2010, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

I also had hell of a time while building my 400 sbc. it ended up overshooting my budget by a good amount but in the end was able to get it to a satisfactory hp however less than my original goal. might be adding few more up gradations later this year.
Old September 15th, 2010, 6:59 AM
CF Junior Member

have you put the fan on the wrong way round?i know it sounds stupid but ive done it before and couldnt work out why it was gettin hot
Old September 16th, 2010, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jason.t.h
have you put the fan on the wrong way round?i know it sounds stupid but ive done it before and couldnt work out why it was gettin hot
Well I finally got the problem solved, I got rid of that pos and put in a 355 small block and it runs great and the temp stays around 190.
Thanks for all of the help you guys gave me.