Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Hey! Few questions on a 91 1500

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2008, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey! Few questions on a 91 1500

Well first off I wana say hello. Names Brandon and well thats bout it. Anyways I had a 89 cavalier z24 and a balzer hit me and killed it so monday I picked up a 91 1500 4x4.

Got a few questions on it cause its my first truck of this size. First a few details. Its a 91 extended cab 1500. Its the aqua marine bluish green color and the clear is peeling a bit but it looks good still. Its sitting on 305/75/16s on newer style silverado rims. Has the 5.7 350 under the hood with dual exaust from a single in dual out vortex muffler with 2 inch rolled tips.

First question is this. I belive it has leaky valve seals cause on start up a get a bit of bluish smoke but also when in mud or sorts or anytime you gas it hard you get smoke 2. I know it may be the rings but anything else it may possibly be before I get a rebuild done?

Another question is this. It has a stock tape player in it how hard is it to set up a CD player in it with the seperate radio and tape/eq interface. I know the stock radio will no longer be connected but the tape/eq hole is longer than a normal CD player and I was wondering how well they look with one in. Ive never installed a CD player in a seprate system like these trucks have.

Another question on audio is this. Where are the speaker wires ran to the rear speakers and what size are they or what is the max speaker size the stock setup can hold? Im not looking into installing a huge system just something new as the dash speakers and driver side rear speaker does not play. Also how easy is the panneling in the rear to pull out to replace these speakers?

And last but not least or I think it is lol. What fluids do yall suggest as the best to swap out and service the differentials and transfercase? I want to do a full service on it before I do anymore playing with it cause I dont want it locking up on me. Oh and what is the normal running oil pressure on these things at about 45mph im wana make sure im getting correct pressure also.

Thank you in advance for helping me out. I love this thing already and ive had it 3 days I just want to keep it running and slowly add to it.