Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HID kit on NBS Silverado - questions

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2009, 6:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID kit on NBS Silverado - questions

I'm looking for opinions and experience on putting an HID kit in a NBS Silverado.

How do they work in the stock headlight housings? Is there a lot of glare? How is the light pattern?

I know they're bright, that's a given, but I want to know if the light is even usable.

Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old September 25th, 2009, 2:30 AM
CF Junior Member

well its very easy to install all you need to do is find the bulb size and then order the same size bulb and install it. very easy and simple just take out stock bulb put in HID bulb and hook up the ballast. no glare what so ever and the lights from 10k and up are illegal. 3k is yellow, 6k is diamond white, 8k is white with a little blue, 10k is light purple, and 12k is a deep purple. there is other colors like green, pink, and orange but the visibility isn't so good and there are illegal but you can put them for your highlights. but installing them is very simple and you should have no problems putting them in.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

HID lights on cars that did not come with them from the factory are illegal, it doesn't matter what level you get, it is all illegal. For a proper HID light you need projectors to provide a cut off, or your going to be blinding on coming traffic.
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe I've got "yellow eyes" or something, but, while I'm blinded by the glare of HID headlights, I just don't see the road as well with them.
Old October 1st, 2009, 1:43 AM
CF Junior Member

where are you from because its not illegal in hawaii. just was wondering if they change some kind of law or something because last i heard you can go up to 10k. from 10k down its all D.O.T. approved. as long as it says D.O.T. approved its not illegal.
Old October 1st, 2009, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Just because it says don't approved doesn't mean it is street legal.
Also the law has never changed, HIDs installed as aftermarket on your car that didn't come with them are illegal.

I live in Va.

Also I did a google, " HID illegal in Hawaii" cam up with this.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6020042AADtWHk

now here is the website I mention saying DOT approved not meaning street legal.

http://www.squidoo.com/dot-approved-hid-kit-and-bulbs

And of course a general look up

Update: May 3, 2007:

NHTSA Cracks Down on Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is targeting high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits for enforcement actions. NHTSA has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The noncompliant kits frequently include a HID bulb, a ballast, an igniter, a relay and wiring harness adapters. The NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, the NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800%.

Under FMVSS No. 108 Section S7.7 (replaceable light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1's wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast). Consequently, companies that are manufacturing HID light sources (e.g., D1S, D1R, D2S, D2R, 9500, etc�) with incandescent light source bases (e.g., H1, H3, H7, H8, H9, H11, H13, HB1, HB2, HB3, HB4, HB5, etc�) should be aware that this light source design would not be one that conforms to FMVSS No. 108, and could not be imported and sold in the United States without violating Federal law. (The importer is treated as the manufacturer and subject to the same fines and penalties that apply to a domestic manufacturer.)

NHTSA has also determined that a commonly used disclaimer "for off-road use only" has no legal meaning and is not recognized by the agency as the manufacturer, importer and retailer are not in a position to control use once a product has been sold. Any equipment offered for sale which is covered by FMVSS No. 108 (headlamps, taillamps, side markers, etc.) must comply with the standard.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 9:35 PM
CF Junior Member

well i work at an auto body shop here in hawaii and we have safety checks. and the book says if it says d.o.t. approved then its legal. and if it was illegal then half of the island would be getting tickets.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

well, here in Virginia, you don't need a muffler to pass the safety, but you'll get pull over. Heck, you can have blue lights in the front, if they work they pass. But the minute you pull on the street you'll get a fix it ticket, because there not legal.

The only DOT approved HIDS are going to be on cars that came with them from the factory, if installed on a car that didn't have from the factory doesn't mean that they're legal now.You just haven't found the right cop, I mean come on, I gave you a yahoo post from someone in Hawaii getting a ticket and you still think it is legal.
Old October 4th, 2009, 2:09 AM
CF Junior Member

i don't think i know they probably had some kind of stupid color like purple green or blue. just like i said if it says d.o.t. approved its approved. 3k, 6k, and 8k all say d.o.t. approved and from 8k. up its not so find out what he had and then write me back.
Old October 4th, 2009, 2:11 AM
CF Junior Member

and believe me i know i had to go to court alot for my truck and i asked them what i can and can't have on my truck. i had blue lights on my truck and they stopped me from impersonating a cop. so i think i know what u can and can't have.

Quick Reply: HID kit on NBS Silverado - questions